Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

I guess that means it's not *online* then.... :(

Reply to
Frank S

A job takes the same amount of time in every part of the country.

I'm seeking what is hard to find - which is why I asked.

  1. It's a source of TIME (not money!) time for each job
  2. It's online

I know the paper books exist. It's what shops use to look the time up. Then they simply charge the time by their shop rate.

It may not exist online - but what I'm asking for is the time.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

Reply to
Frank S

You seem to know more than everyone else, as this is all true. It's complicated how any one shop charges the time. But that's not what I'm asking.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

Yes. I know about this where you explained it well that there is a flat rate for the water pump, and a flat rate for the timing belt, but if you do them both, then there are two ways to calculate the flat rate.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

Reply to
Frank S

That's *exactly* what I want.

a. Time. b. Online.

Does it exist?

Reply to
Frank S

You seem to know more than everyone else, as this is all true. It's complicated how any one shop charges the time. But that's not what I'm asking.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

Yes. I know about this where you explained it well that there is a flat rate for the water pump, and a flat rate for the timing belt, but if you do them both, then there are two ways to calculate the flat rate.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

Reply to
Frank S

You seem to understand the flat rate the best. The only thing I'd clarify is the "win" just means he *beat* the time. He still gets paid what he should if he does the job in the flat rate time.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists. (I understand that it may not exist online - that's why I asked.)

Reply to
Frank S

Exactly.

Of course.

I understand that most shops just add it all up. That's OK. I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

Reply to
Frank S

I'll take either time.

I'll assume "factory time" is shorter than "Chilton time".

That's exactly what I'm seeking. a. Time b. Online

I'm ok with any units that equate to the time you multiply times the shop rate.

So if it's in labor units, that's fine since that equates to average time anyway.

But does it exist online?

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

Reply to
Frank S

The original question asks for a database *online* for the shop hours for any given job.

I know Mitchells has it in paper manuals but I'm seeking an *online* source.

I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

Reply to
Frank S

I am only asking about time. Online.

Reply to
Frank S

  1. All jobs have an *expected* flat rate time.
  2. The flat rate time is published in a manual somewhere.
  3. Every shop has access to that flat rate time manual (whether it's Chiltons or Mitchells or All Data or the factory KSD).

Yes I am fully aware that some mechanics easily *beat* that flat rate time and some mechanics take *longer* than that flat rate time - but the mechanics still charge at the same flat rate time.

Yes. I am fully aware that to do a waterpump takes X flat rate time and to do a timing belt takes Y flat rate time and do to them both does NOT take X

  • Y flat rate time.

Yes. I am fully aware that some shops still charge the X flat rate time plus the Y flat rate time, while others charge X flat rate time plus some-fraction-of Y flat rate time.

I'm fully aware of all this. None of that is the question.

I wasn't aware that there is "dealer" flat rate time and "factory" flat rate time, but that's just a complication that I can deal with depending on what flat rate time I do find online.

What I don't know is WHERE to get the flat rate time online. It might not exist online.

But that's why I ask.

Reply to
Frank S

Did you google flat rate manual ?

this is the 5th hit for me:

As little as $55 if your car was made in 1977 or earlier

$112 for 2005.

Though I do wonder about this, 2005 Child Labor Guide CD-ROM

In the 60's, all there was was the book, and I had no idea where to get that, or how to pay the equivalent of $880

Reply to
micky

Those charges piss me off. Sure, they are real costs but so is insurance, lighting, the water bill. It should be included in the shop rate. They don't charge me different depending on whether or not the mechanic had to flush the toilet while working on my car.

Most dealers have those charges built in as a percentage of the charges, not based on actual use. Give me the rags and I'll take them to dispose of them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It sure does, as others have linked. But it's a compendium of data from Chilton's or whoever for which they (rightfully) charge a fee.

Nothing stops you from looking at your watch, doing the job yourself and then looking at your watch again. If you want a more convenient answer, buy a flat-rate manual.

Reply to
AMuzi

Presumably you get that $90 refunded when you get an engine rebuild, though.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Not necessarily. Around here, brake jobs are easy. Up in Massachusetts where they salt the roads, brake jobs on the same cars are hellish and take far longer.

Chilton's might have it online, but if so it won't be free. They are not in the business of giving information out for free.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Here you go.

It will cost you and you may need Proof of Pro and login credentials.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Lamontagne

Simple jobs you can probally DIY (Do it yourself) and with a good set of tools, save a lot of money too. Of course it might take more time than a shop can do it. Instead of paying the shop, you can pay yourself.

Reply to
allisellis851

It was 4500 for a used engine and 6500 for a rebuilt one. Not worth it, and he knew it.

Reply to
micky

Just to add a little perspective to this topic, 1953 to 1970 I was a practicing Auto mechanic.

1960 to 1970 I owned my own business in a 2 car service station/garage. Our labor rates were $6.50 per hour, Increased to $7.00 an hour in 1965 much to the crying and hollering of our customers. I ran a strictly honest place and had an abundance of loyal customers. Imperial Oil sold the property in 1970 and I left the auto trade. Back then I could do a 4 wheel brake job (no extras or complications} for the sum of $24.00 Shoes and labor On GM, Ford, Dodge or Plymouth. I moved into the field of power Engineering till I retired in year 2000

Rene

Reply to
Rene Lamontagne