Some of the mystery solved on my missing A/C

It appears that someone who owned my 1985 Tercel wagon before me had BEGAN an installation of an A/C.

That's the best I can come-up with for the missing pipes and compressor.

The owner's brother, who told me how frosty-cold the A/C was when he was in it all those years the family owned it, seems to be mistaken.

I went to the junk yard and appraised what the whole A/C system consisted of, the second fan and condenser to the right of the radiator, the different-looking compressor, the squirrel cage under the glove box, the on/off switch... If there ever was an air conditioner in that car, it was far from the conventional, and I never suspected it was factory.

Somebody just went shopping under my hood, but I don't care, I'm going after that whole system that Toyota designed for the car.

How much would you say a good price would be for the works out of a junk yard? As I alluded to, I found the whole system.

---firefly

Reply to
firefly

Too much. You're taking on a project that for all practical purposes is NOT practical...the car is 23 years old, and will never be considered a classic car in any sense of the term. I admire your tenacity, but it's tilting at windmills.

Reply to
mack

It takes someone who installs AC's day in and day out at least 4 hours to install the AC in a new car without rusted fasteners. It takes someone who doesn't do it day in and day out around 6 to 8 hours.

Multiply 4 to 8 hours times the prevailing labor rate in your area, then add at least $100 to charge the AC with R-12 that is no longer made, then add another $150 for a new receiver/drier because the old one will be ruined from being exposed to the atmosphere, then add whatever you pay for the AC system.

Even if you found someone willing to install the system for $200, then add another $250, you're at $450 before you buy the system. I suspect that the car is not worth what you would have to pay to have the AC installed, even if you got the parts for free.

Reply to
Ray O

$100, $150 tops. U-Pull-It type places typically charge something like $25 for major components like compressor, evap., condensor, then $5 each for the hoses, dryer, and such (I wouldn't use a junk yard dryer - likely to be moisture saturated - get new aftermarket).

Bill Putney

About $22,000. That inlcudes a new set of tires, a new hybrid system, a new engine, a new computer, new seats, a new transmission, the new hybrid battery, new wheels, new sheet metal, etc. You guessed it: A new Prius.

It's not worth it on a 23 year old car. And you're more likely to seriously damage your car than have a reliable system.

If you need an A/C that bad, get a different car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

LOL! I'm chuckling because of the answers you were given to your question.

I'm a nut, too, and if I have a good running old car, I'll fix it and run it into the ground myself. A Tercel in So Cal is probably in decent shape, even thought they were more prone to rust than other Toyotas.

I'll tell you, if the car didn't have AC, you're in for an undertaking. It's not going to be easy. The hardest part is the plumbing and the air exchanger under the dash. If you do it yourself, set aside a weekend. If you pay someone, have a thick wallet. The parts can be had at a 'recyclers' for ~$200, but there's a couple things you want to consider. Anything that vintage will be R-12, which, last I checked, was $120 a lb. You need ~2 lbs, so that's $240 right there. Instead, look for a newer compressor and receiver-dryer and adapt them. I'd be looking for a ~94-96 Tercel. If you can find one still charged! The components will be usable, but you have to keep them from collecting moisture. Plastic plugs will help this. Anything newer than '93 will be an R-134 system, much easier on the wallet.

Four years ago I wanted to repair the AC on an '85 Celica I had, and I found an '84 in a boneyard with an INTACT AC system with a full charge of R-12, and they wasted $100 for the compressor, receiver-dryer and a few other pieces.

Unfortunately, they crushed it before I could get back there.

Good Luck!

Reply to
hachiroku

Better yet, just do this:

It will be easier and cheaper than adding the components to the Tercel. You might also bolt on a 3000 W or so generator, too, to the back of the car. And, if there is a power outage, you can just run some extension cords to your refrigerator and your house air conditioner.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Nah, if he can get the right parts at the Boneyard it won't be *TOO* difficult.

The worst part is fitting the air exchanger under the dash. Everything else is actually pretty easy, if you get ALL the parts.

Reply to
hachiroku