KYB shocks - rough ride

I've just replaced the original shocks on my 95 Corolla at 100k miles with after-market KYB Excel-G (the Toyota dealer asked more than twice the price.) I expected the KYBs to give a good ride quality, since also the OEM shocks were make by KYB. The handling has improved, however the car rides very rough, I can feel every little bump on the road. It is *very* uncomfortable, especially on longer drives. Has anyone had the same experience with KYB? Is it possible they'll "loosen up" over time? Any solution to fixing this other than changing the shocks at the dealer?

Reply to
Dan

___________________ How long have they been on the car as of my reply?

I noticed the same thing with the Monroes I put on my '81 Buick Century in 93: They were a little stiff the first week or two, but seemed to settle in after that. It also didn't help that I kept FORTY GOL'DARN POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH OF AIR IN MY TIRES!!! Buick called for 35psi, the same as the max inflation on the tire itself for that car, so I never really got to experience the car properly with the new Monroes on it. I don't know what I was thinking, but I've learned alot about tire pressures since. ;)

Make sure your cold tire pressure is what Toyota calls for, not what's on the tiyah! Also, your suspension & ball-joints are NOT the same at

100,000 as they were at 10,000 or even 50k. They do wear down and need replacement. Get back to us after a few days with this.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

I don't know what the '95 came with for stock shocks, but earlier Corollas came stock with oil-filled shocks. If they were KYB they were probably gas, but they're old. The KYBs you installed are new gas pressure shocks. They do make for a stiffer ride. Also, if you bought the car new,and this is the first shock replacement, then your old shocks were definitely soft from age.

A couple of other things: bushings wear down with age, so the suspension isn't as tight as it was at one time, and road imperfections will be felt more than before. Springs start to get soft around 100K, also.

It used to be you did shocks every 40,000 miles, and a lot of people did springs every 3rd shock change. That's 120K. Your shocks are good for up to 100K. Change the springs next shock change! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

_________________ Also, it's important to note that typically factory shocks are "softer" intentionally, to give the impression of a cushy ride in just about any sedan application. On a sporty platform, of course they're going to put a stiffer shock absorber or strut on it.

In the same manner they tend to recommend lower tire pressures also in the name of a cushy ride. I tend to run 1-2psi over factory in my tires, and I notice less premature shoulder wear but the ride is still comfortable and handling is more taut.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

yes, in fact they will "loosen up" (and start rattling) in only a year or so.

Only consistently good shocks I have found are Bilstein and Koni.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

yes, this is especially noticeable on the Impala. Tires are rated for

44 PSI but GM recommends 30 PSI. with the tires at 30 PSI the tires are just too damn soft, there's as much compliance in the tires as there is with the rest of the suspension. Wallow, dive, etc. Inflate tires to 35 PSI and it rides much better and the tires don't look like they're going flat anymore.

what the hell were they thinking?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've been using Monroe OEM's or NoName OEM's for decades with no problems. Overthinking shocks is a venal sin. If you want original ride, get OEM. What does "handling has improved" mean with a '95 Corolla? Just curious. As others have said, your springs don't last forever either.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

______________________ Not all tires are rated 44psi max pressure. And they're not all just for passenger sedans either.

Like I said, I go by treadwear. If I see the shoulders start to go on a young set of tires I'm running at the auto mfg's recommended pressure, I'll add a couple pounds, wait a month and see if the center tread catches up with the shoulders. If not, I'll add another pound. So far my Kia Optima and the Mastercraft LSRs I put on her in December are getting along just fine at 32psi(KIA recommends 30).

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Well, I'm just saying that i have had BAD experiences (lack of damping after low mileage, clunking, rattling, etc.) with Boge, KYB, Gabriel, etc... currently have Monroes on the Ugly Truck and I wish they had more damping but other than that no complaints (so far, hardly ever drive the truck.) Have had zippy problems with Bilstein and Koni.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

the original shocks on my 95 Corolla at 100k miles

I replaced the shocks 2 days ago. I doubt they'll "settle in" in a few weeks. Most likely they're calibrated for a stiffer ride and not much will change in a week or two. Tire pressure is as stated in the car's manual (35 front, 33 rear).

Reply to
drnwnr

KYB generally sells shocks that are more performance oriented, hence "stiffer" then standard shocks. I put KYB on the front of my S10 and they were stiffer then the old ones. I was almost sorry I changed them but now that they are broken in, or now that I'm used to them, they seem fine.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I go right up to the full rated pressure on the sidewall of the tire!

I don't care about a cushy ride! I like MPG and handling!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

That might make a dump truck handle better. On any kind of performance car, the tires wont stick as well overinflated.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Most people prefer the mushy ride that comes from worn out shocks and struts. That is why most after market shocks and struts have a softer ride than OEM parts. When I looked for replacement struts for my Beretta I found that Gabriel made a regular strut and a "sport suspension" strut. I of course bought the sport suspension struts, which were considerable firmer than the wimpy OEM struts.

Reply to
Mike Walsh