LT-1 With Periodic Starting problem

Hello & Thank you for taking the time to read this. Problem is a hard starting engine which seems destined to drive me into a psychiatric hospital!

VEHICLE: !995 Chevrolet Caprice; Powered by the fuel injected 350ci LT-1 (former 9C-1) law enforcement vehicle with 62,000.00 miles).

SYMPTOMS: Often it starts like a rabbit whatever the engine or outdoor temperatures may be. When the engine is warm, it starts by barely turning the key!

NOW THE BAD TIMES: If the vehicle sits, not started for more than about 36 hours, you have a 50/50 chance of grinding the (brand new) battery into fhe dead zone. I am a heart-lung patient and will be evaluated for transplant in

10 days, so I want to feel comfortable that my car will not be a source of concern for my wife and I. Not to mention the fact that money is tight as we know there are going to be things not covered by insurance. Almost forgot: PARTS CHANGED BY ME: Fuel filter, Gas cap; Air filter element; Very high amp battery (got 6 years out of previous that was in it when I bought it from a great place (transaction was ez as one could want). I recommend the dealer 110% .

ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHERE TO LOOK NEXT (With Limited Budget in Mind?)

PLEASE HELP.

BTW: The fuel pump is heard starting when the key goes to "ON" position.

SINCERELY,

Ray Miller

snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com

Reply to
Raymond A. Miller

Hey Raymond!

I have the same car (same mileage!) Your problem could be one of the following:

  1. Need new coil.

  1. Need new alternator

  2. Fuel injection system needs cleaning.

Each of these runs around 500 dollars.

And now straight to the bad news: With cop-cars a lot of things WILL go wrong, and each will be a big ticket item. I know that no other car runs like a 9C1 Caprice, I drove BMW and it doesn't even come close, but you WILL pour a LOT of money into that car. So think twice if you want to keep it. PS: the fuel-pump is a high-volume fuel pump that sucks the gas out like a jet-engine. (thats why are cop-cars so fast) Don't wait for the low-fuel light to light-up, if the fuel gauge swings towards the red-zone, get fuel immediately because you can get stranded at any moment. The Caprice has race-car instrumentation, what the fuel-gauge shows is NOT how much fuel you have, but the fuel pressure on the fuel-pump at the moment. if its too low, it will shut down the fuel-injection.

Joe> Hello & Thank you for taking the time to read this. Problem is a hard

Reply to
Joshka_2000

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Have you checked for spark when it will not start?

The fuel pump is a common problem on these cars, but it usually quits running. Yours could be running and not making enough pressure. I doubt this is the problem but it is worth checking.

Another common problem is that the distributor gets moisture in it (usually from a leaking water pump). You can remove it and pull it apart and check for water damage. It is a total bear to get the distributor off the car.

Could be a problem with the mass air flow sensor or a leak in the plumbing from the throttle body to the mass air flow sensor.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.