Periodic Starting Problem with 9-3

Approx. 6 times in the last 8 months my 9-3 will not start. This problem will last for only 10 or 15 minutes and then the car finally starts. This seems to occur when the temperature is warm and when the car has only been sitting for 5 to 30 minutes. All the lights on the dash come on like normal but the engine does not turn over ... in fact I don't even hear a clicking noise when turning the key to start. I've tried moving the trans. selector from Park to all other gears then back to Park and it doesn't help. I've tried starting in Neutral and that doesn't help either. It always starts well every morning so it's not a cold starting problem. The is a 2000 9-3 with auto tranny and 42K miles. I think the battery is fine because the temperature has been down to 5 F degrees a few days ago and the car starts strong in the morning. The clamps on the battery are clean and tight. I was thinking that it might be the transmission range switch but if that were the problem then wouldn't I see an error in the SID?? When this problem ocurs there are no errors displayed. I hate to spend money throwing new parts in it when they aren't causing the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Steve Arnold

ma_twain