Manual Transmission

I own a 97 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a manual transmission. Recently I have noticed a problem when placing in gear. When I start the truck up and place it into first gear and start to let off the clutch it will not move. If I continue letting the clutch up the entire way I hear a loud bang sound (as if it slammed into gear) and it will start to move. The problem started a few months ago but it is now happening more often. I've noticed that I can avoid the bang sound if I place the shifter in gear with the clutch pressed in and cost forward or backwards before letting up on the clutch. I wanted to get some input before taking it in to be serviced so thanks in advanced for you help.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob

A common problem with the manual transmissions used in the BII and ranger is the input shaft main bearing will wear it self into the aluminum front transmission cover causing shifing problems. The whole shaft would move in/out something like a 1/2 inch.

Your trany is going to have to come out.

Tom

Reply to
tomf

Thanks for the feed back Tom. I've scheduled an appointment to have it looked at early next week. Do you have a feel for how much it should cost to fix?

Bob.

Reply to
Bob