mazda power steering fluid

anyone know if mazda specs anything special for their power steering fluid replacement (similar to honda requiring a proprietary fluid) ?

of will any ATF type fluid do Ok ?

in case it matters, 1998 mpv and a 2007 cx-7 are the two mazda's in question

thanks.

Reply to
jake

I definitely do not know, but I DO know that on some previous GM models, if they said use power steering fluid, they MEANT power steering fluid. I stupidly used ATF in one of them and soon had to replace hoses and pump.

I wouldnt assume that ATF would do the job without researching this completely

Reply to
hls

I am assuming you don't have owner's manuals?

Also, they should have the fluid specification right on the top of the caps. Usually in white or yellow letters. Even my '88 Supra says "Dexron type ATF". If it says either Dexron or Mercon, then any Dexron or Mercon would be acceptable.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

ok, will pickup Dexron VI ATF as it states on the bottle, backward compatible, meets or exceeds Dexron II, III, IV and V

it's the best Pep Boys and Autozone carry locally so it should do ok

plan on pumping the reservoir down with a small tool, filling and repeating the process a couple times, while running the power steering for a couple minutes in-between, that should take care of 90% or more of the old fluid

Reply to
jake

You can remove the low pressure line from the pump, and take a piece of tubing or hosing that fits into it, run it to a pan and then start the car. Keep the resevior full with ATF, or have someone pour some in while you turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. Kind ahelps to have the front end of the car jacked up, eh?

Then, with the bottle full, lower the car so the front tires JUST touch the ground and again turn the wheel from lock to lock a few times to bleed out any air in the system. Top off the bottle to the Full mark and put the car back on the ground. Takes about 45-60 minutes.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B