MERCURY SABLE 1996 SERVICE ENGINE SOON

The "Service Engine Soon Light" keeps coming on. My mechanic's code reader shows P0303, something to do with one of the cylinder? After lot of work and hours on the car, my mechanic is thinking of changing the computer of the car because this may be caused by a problem in the computer itself, giving false message. When the code is erased, the car works perfectly for few minutes or hours and the signal comes on again. At 100-110 km/hour or more the car shakes and slowdown before getting strong power again and go. Sometimes, the Service engine soon lights at the same time as overdrive green light. It appears that a computer for my car is hard to find. Anyone with an idea to solve this problem?

GOITA

Reply to
GOITA

jsanders

Reply to
jsanders

Any suggestion for solution to the cylinder number 3 misfire?

Goita

GOITA wrote:

Reply to
GOITA

Reply to
Shep

Is it really only a code reader? Not a full-fledged scan tool? If so, it is no wonder the problem has not been diagnosed.

Misfire #3 cylinder

It would be very helpful to know what he has actually done, what parts he may have changed.

The mechanic is grasping at straws. This is unlikely.

When the misfire on #3 cylinder returns.

It appears the "mechanic" cannot find the intermittent #3 misfire. Should be easy to find a computer at a salvage yard but that probably will not fix the problem.

Change shops.

Don

Don