miss or viabration in 1997 Dodge intrepid 3.5L

I am haveing difficulty in diagnosing my trouble. At highway speed of @55-60 as I accelerate my Dodge seems to have a viabration or miss I cannot tell for sure. I have replaced plugs and wires, both upper ox2 sensors, replaced map sensor and crankshaft sensor. Had tires checked, balanced and rotated. Checked compression and all six cylenders come in at 180 lbs. Would appreciate any suggestions. Oh yes checked all mounts and the car does have @ 112,000 miles. Would reallylike to repair and continue to drive. Thanks for your help

Pastor Jim

Reply to
James Dudley

My 94' LHS did this too. I never fixed it. It did it for about 74k miles. I've seen some references lately that the problem is most likely EGR related. You might try replacing it and cleaning out the passage for it too (it just cruds up with carbon).

Good luck and let us know if it fixes it.

Steve m...

Reply to
Steve m...

There are TWO likely candidates. One is the EGR, as mentioned. The second is the intake manifold-to-cylinder head gasket. The factory gaskets on early 3.5s are somewhat prone to leak air at the head as the engine ages, and it results in a misfire. Often noticeable at idle, but also possibly any time the engine is asked to "lug" at relatively low RPM.

The EGR problem that causes misfire is TOO MUCH EGR (leaking EGR valve) and not a passage crudding up with carbon- that would result in too little EGR.

Reply to
Steve

These problems are more likely to show up at idle. Can you determine whether this varies with engine or road speed?

Reply to
hyundaitech