Most cars in Europe have manual trannies?

If yes, why is that?

Serious question.

Reply to
me

How about - M P G.......

Reply to
75yrs.experience

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Initial cost, cost of maintenance, reliability, fuel economy.

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin

Quite a few automatic equipped cars are actually rated higher in mpg than their manual equivalents.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:q79hf7peljqkgasuc7ecf2jedqh10n3hq5@

4ax.com:

That's a fairly recent development.

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin

But do those automatics get better mpg in real life than manuals ?

And since in Europe you pay for the car 2 or 3 times over with the taxes, a $1000 automatic becomes a $3,000 automatic.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

In answer to the first question - yes - if you do not know how to drive the standard for economy. The "smart" automatics are ALWAYS in the right gear.

Reply to
clare

I think people in Europe are more enthusiastic about driving and a manual transmission is a more rewarding driving experience. A true car enthusiast will always prefer a manual over a automatic.

Just my opinion

Reply to
Jeff Nowak

...but it's also simply a 'culture" thing....I work for a Swiss company and the guys I talk to simply just like it. They said that when you drive a car, you *drive* a car. They also don't like cup holders and most cars have sun/moon roofs as well....It's a culture thing...

lol...one of the guys said the following when I just asked:

"You drive you car, drink coffee at a cafe, eat at a restaurant, and watch television at home...You do not do all at the same time, or you enjoy none of them correctly"

Reply to
IYM

It really depends on the driving, too. It sure sucks to be stuck in gridlock traffic with a standard tranny and a heavy clutch!!

I like a standard in a "fun car", and an automatic in my "work car" - but the new automatic with manual mode - tiptronic or paddle shifters

- can be just as much fun as a "real" gearshift car.

Reply to
clare

I've long assumed that modern auto trannys *should* be more reliable (in average usage) than manuals, but I've not seen any "statistics" that support the notion. Anybody seen any? Or intelligent discussion of relative reliability??

I hassle the idiot drag-ass traffic in my ancient ThunderChicken with 4-speed auto, but, on a really nice day, I limit myself to 2 wheels (old Hurricane) with

6-speed close-ratio (and wouldn't have it any other way).

Cheers, Pudd>I really like a manual on a real pleasure drive (i.e., in the open country

Puddin' Man