My friends bicycle engine wont kick over?

My friend just got a mountain bike with an engine for christmas. It ran out of gas at my house and we didn't know it required mixed fuel so I got all of the gas out and put mixed gas in it. When he tried to ride it he'd let the clutch go (starting the engine). The engine started and stayed running as long as he peddled but when he hit the throttle it didn't work. What could a possible solution be?

Reply to
joey

'didn't work' meaning 'engine stalled'? or 'didn't work' meaning 'this scooter isn't nearly as enjoyable as a real bicycle' ?

Possible solutions include: Remove engine and just ride it (Joerg says weight doesn't matter. YMMV)

Check for stuck choke Check for blocked air filter Check for inadequate fuel delivery Check carburetor adjustments Check for fouled plug(s) Check timing etc etc If you can be more specific you'll get more advice.

Reply to
AMuzi

At any time did you run and start it with fuel only? Hopefully you didn't soft seize the engine

Reply to
m6onz5a

I am not sure from your post exactly what you did, because you are not being exactly clear.

Is this the sequence?

  1. You got a thing with a 2-cycle engine that requires fuel-oil mix

  1. You ran it for a while with unmixed fuel.

  2. Now it doesn't run very well anymore.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

2 stroke engine, no fuel/oil mix usually results in loss of 2 stroke engine lubrication. No wonder the engine seized up. What brand name of 2 stroke engine is the engine?
Reply to
JR

Google,,, 2 cycle engine seized up Some YouTube videos about that. Maybe you can unstick it.

Reply to
JR

By the sound of it sounds like one of those Chinese bolt on motors. I had one for several months and only used synthetic oil.

Reply to
m6onz5a