198 slant 6 4x4 seized engine..now unseized

Well should say was seized.. BUT now It starts then shuts off .. no fuel. The guy I bought it from flooded the engine so much that after he ran it 10 min it seized.. well I get the truck and like to tinker so I take all the plugs out and dump some diesel fuel.. let sit 4 hours, then dump oil in all the cyl's....come back 3 hours later and crank it it slow spurts..but it clicks like it is seized solid...so I wait another hour and roll over time.. pissin oil all over.. put the plugs back in and fire it up.. it starts runs

2 seconds and stalls.. have to use starting fluid.. It sounds good. running for the whole 2-3 seconds.. Will this motor be okay?.. or should I dump the 318 magnum in it and convert to FI ?.. any thoughts on why it won't run after gas is dumped in it ?.. etc would be great. thanx
Reply to
Chevrolet

Chevrolet

It should be a 225 not a 198 in a truck. THe old slant six is likely one of the most durable engines even built though emission controls left it pretty weak power wise in its later days. Back in the late 60 and into 70's I own 3 different cars with slant 6's. Two were 225's and one was a 170. They were all very dependable and the 170 would do low 20's on highway regularly even with automatic in a 63 plymouth Valient complete with push botton shifter for tranny. .

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Hole, thanks for the trip down memory lane. How about you answer the question's in the V10 thread.

Reply to
Roy

318's are a dime a dozen. The slant six is quick becoming extinct. I would invest in rebuilding the 225 and keeping the truck original. John
Reply to
John

it was a typo.. it shopuld have read 1985.. the 5 got left out.. it is a

Reply to
Chevrolet

How about you growing up and getting a life and stop acting like a spoiled child that needs there fix! Just keep it up if it make you happy because if you want to show your inmaturity no body but you is is going to stop you from doing it here. I also suspect you where not even around when the slant six was born either.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I agree that it is not a wise pratice to put a chevy motor in a Dodge (or Jeep or Ford) or a Dodge motor is the other brands because you should keep it stock no matter what brand you choose. The 225 is a study engine and back it the 60's you could cut .150 off of head to raise compression (170 and 225 used same head but 225 piston did not come to top of cylinder to keep compression low with bigger stroke as bore was the same) If you did this and improved the breathing a bit it would warm up nicely. Back in the 60's they had what was called as I recal a Hyper Pack "kit"/option for them they added a specail intake and 4 bll carb and boosted the HP well over 200 HP. Like other posted said, I would keep the 225 and rework it a bit if you want more power as it is a very sturdy motor otherwise.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Hole, I have quite a good life thank you very much.

Oh, I was around way befor the slant 6. Just a heads up for ya before you really make a bigger ass of yourself (if that's possible). There are a few of us here that have twice the snow plowing experience that you claim to have. But that's for another day. Let's stay on subject shall we Hole. That subject is the BS you spewed in the V10 thread. I think it is safe to say that most of the group's traser's are waiting for you to answer the questions related to your WROG information. Then we can move on to the wrong tourqe

Reply to
Roy

Sorry, a bit of a screw up. Should read "WRONG" information. And that word should have been torque specs

Reply to
Roy

Watch it Roy, Snowballs is starting to rub on you, you're spelling just like him! hehe

Reply to
azwiley1

No shit!! One of those day's. I'm trying to get out the door for work, the phone is ringing, rge.dog is barking, the Hole is posting more BS. So many things, so little time. You know the deal.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

WTF! I'm a letter off to the left on this key board. Must be right eye dominant.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Me thinks your new best friend has you all flustered......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Reply to
Chevrolet

Best car I had was a 69 dart slant 6 auto. Anyone remember the aluminum block slant 6 that never made it.

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

My problem with Hole is that he is dangerous. He will post something then some unsuspecting person will do what he maintains is correct and get hurt or damage something. To a lot of us with a mechanical background Hole's posts are mildly funny but to those who drop in here for accurate info and read some of Hole's stuff..... Anyway just piss's me off.

Also, I do find it funny that Hole and fur face are neighbors. Funny how things work out.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

A friend and former coworker was known to be a "car killer"... throttle was either idle or WOT. He lived about 5 miles east of Monroe, WA. I recall meeting him at his place one evening, when his ride was an F-body MoPar w/ slant 6. I arrived first and then Steve pulled in. After he shut off, I could plainly hear the exhaust cooling down and making that "tink!!-tink!!-tink!!-tink!!" sound at a high rate. He lifted the hood, and the exhaust manifold was glowing a dull cherry-red! He still managed to get a few more years out of that car/engine! LOL Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

You can probably knock the ridge out of the bores and hone them, sand most of the scuffing on the pistons off with a little emery cloth, slap in new bearings, oil-pump (difficult to rebuild), rings and do a valve job. Set initial timing at 10 BTDC and drive it for another 200,000 miles.

Yeah, it's that tough.

But since you mentioned the other probs, part the truck out.

Reply to
Budd Cochran