Natural Gas Fuel for cars.

Well, since they like the idea of growing the algae based fuel in desert areas, there will probably be good isolation.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have my doubts. Even in the desert there are vectors for spreading this DNA.

Reply to
hls

Your carbon foot print is probably no bigger than that brown stain in your underpants. And you are probably just about as paranoid that someone is going to steal that also.

-jim

Reply to
jim

In the 70's there was a push on for just that in Canada. The govt helped pay for the set-up. Not sure what it cost. I saw one a year or so ago at a fellows home. He had some sort of compressor hooked up to the NG supply at his house. He had an old full-size chev van (needed the size for the fuel tanks). He told me it took about 8 to 10 hrs to fill the veh. His range was sad though. He could go about 120 km to a fill. He would drive about 50 to 60 kms to work, then on the way home he'd stop and refill at one of the few NG stations. He liked the idea, said is was cheap (after paying his part of the home compressor, and getting the van converted to duel fuel), but a pita. Then they closed the NG station in Whitby, and I dont think a NG station is very easy to find here in my part of Southern Ontario these days. Hope to run into him again and see if he still uses it. ..........Rob

Reply to
rss1

But yet you regurgitate the alarmist bullshit. Polar glaciers? Which pole? Can't be the North Pole, the North Pole exists in the ARCTIC OCEAN. Glaciers don't exist on oceans, they exist on LAND. They flow to the ocean in some places, and when they reach the ocean they, a) break off and become ICEBERGS, b) don't break off and become ICE SHELFS, c) chunks break away from ice shelfs and become ICEBERGS... like they have always done since the last Ice Age. The period we are in (since the last Ice Age) is called the "Inter-Glacial Period"... a period where glaciers shrink, melt, etc., i.e.. don't grow larger.

This is the end of the Arctic summer (the minimum). The appearance of the alarmist BS at the end of summer is predictable.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

And where does your expertise come from?

Reply to
hls

If a vehicle gets 25 MPG on gasoline, how far would the same vehicle go on two 20 pound tanks of unpressurized natural gas? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Fifty

maybe

seventy-five

feet.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Mixing units:

You would get more mpg on a pound of methane than you would get on a pound of gasoline.

If the tank is not pressurized, are you saying that there are 20 pounds of gas in each tank (weight , not pressure)? Twenty pounds of methane (or natural gas) would be about three gallons of liquid compressed hydrocarbon. Forty pounds woud be about six gallons of liquid compressed hydrocarbon.

Maybe this doesnt make sense, but I understand it.

Reply to
hls

I had meant to say a 20 gallon tank.I don't know how much pressure home natural gas is.My home is all electric. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Home natural gas is very low pressure. You wouldnt be able to go far.

The system that Boone Pickens uses has a compressor and a special fuel tank. The compressor, I believe, costs a few thousand dollars. Special fuel tanks up the ante.

Reply to
hls

Google PHILL and or Fuelmaker if you want to learn a little more about these systems, Cuhu.

They have been bought by a new investor, but you should find some info in any case.

Reply to
hls

It's not much, it's something like a third of an atmosphere. I think ours is marked "7 inches of water." You can blow a whole lot harder than that through a straw.

The mains pressure is much higher, but they regulate it down at the house.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

7 inches of water is about 0.25 psi...Cows probably have more gas pressure ;>)
Reply to
hls

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

It's used. Cabbies here for one. The problem is that they have to add sulphur dioxide so you know when there's a leak. With the result that combustion + water leads to sulfuric acid. And in far higher quantities than the nitric asid from normal gas. Not good.

Reply to
fred

I dont know where you are, but natural gas here in the USA doesnt contain sulfur dioxide.

Methyl mercaptan is added so that you can detect a leak.. .Methyl mercaptan is mighty smelly stuff. It burns to form sulfur dioxide, and sulfur trioxide, and those eventually end up in the atmosphere as sulfurous and sulfuric acid. The same methyl mercaptan is added to ALL natural gas used as fuels in homes or wherever, not just in automobile fuels.

Normal gasoline does not contain nitric acid.

Oxides of nitrogen are formed when hydrocarbon fuels are burned in air (containing nearly 80% nitrogen gas) at high pressures and temperatures.

It isnt easy to burn nitrogen gas with oxygen and come up with nitrogen oxides, but a car engine can do it, to some degree or another. So can lightning strikes.

Cabbies sometimes use propane systems,but seldom compressed natural gas.

Propane is easy to liquify, can be found nationwide, and does not require the very high pressure ratings in the fuel system to provide reasonable natural gas service. It is a cheap fuel that is easy on engines, does not burn valves, burns relatively clean.

I mean no disrespect but feel your post needs a little clarification.

Reply to
hls

There is a big old shop (I think it dates back to the 1950s) about one block from me.They sell and service propane and natural gas products.They also sell and install and service carburetors/whatever equipment for cars and trucks. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It is fairly easy to set up most cars to run on LPG (propane). I had thought about buying an older Honda or something solid, and setting it up to run with propane.

Havent done it,but not out of the question yet.

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:n5ednWDsILv0FDjXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

So no affective difference in other words. Still one sulfur atom combining to create S03 which with water forms sulfuric acid. Primary combustion of sulfur itself produces S02. After that it's *very* easy to get Sulfuric acid.

No, I never take offence to polite corrections on usenet. Howevert my chemistry gets to the same place as yours in both cases. The intermediate steps are not important as the result is exactly the same: sulfuric and nitric acids. As for Methyl Mercaptan or (probably chemically more correct as Methanethiol) it probably is only used due to it's greater stink and hence less sulfur in toto.

Reply to
fred

"hls" wrote in news:q_SdnSQHqq1HADjXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You *really* need to get used to the smell first. Believe me. Gasoline has nothing on it.

Reply to
fred