Need vehicle recommendation

My sister seems to go through cars like no tomorrow.. Not accidents, but they sure take a beating. Hitting curbs is probably the main problem. She has a late 90's Ford Contour, and I think that car is just too chinsy. She's had to get a new wheel up front like 3 times now. (The cast aluminum ones), and she's always needing an alignment.. (Steering wheel not straight, strange vibrations..). And the other usual problems, scraped off valences, sheared off mirrors, etc..

Anyway, I think she's been blessed by a hit and run today. Someone smacked the drivers side right between the front and rear doors. The insurance company said they would total it out, if the damages exceed $3k. That's way more than she'd get if she sold it outright, judging on it's current condition.

Sooo. I've been trying to think of a replacement vehicle.. Immediately I think, Crown Vic, Dodge Power Wagon, '82 LTD, :) But, those would be too large to manuever, I think..

Anyone have any ideas on a car about the size of the contour, but can take a better beating? I'd just say 'learn how to drive', but I already have been for the last 14 years.

TIA,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Smith

Mike Behnke

Get her a $1500 honda civic; I would guess early 90's or late 80's.

Buy them in sixpacks.

Reply to
TCS

Or a Hummer.

Reply to
Jimmy

Classic example of not to buy a woman drive vehicle. Just kidding! Buy vehicle that have good enough ground clearance. Standard rims with hubcabs for low cost of ownership. Vehicle with automatic transmission, and clear windows view mean seating position. I am thinking about Focus hatchback or Mazda 323 (older model) for low cost car or Honda Civic for more expensive repair cost. Focus's seats is bit higher than other car I have tested drive. Buy vehicle with airbag and ABS would be a better choice if you can afford for safety since she really needed and most IMPORTANT one is learn to DRIVE BETTER. Perhaps you should show her. This time she need a car but next time could be something worse.

Reply to
none