New belts causing whine?

I had some unrelated work done on my Chrysler LHS, and while in the shop I had them replace the serpetine belt and the v-belt (it was about time). Now, after the engine warms up, their is a distinctive whine I liken it to about half the volume of a supercharger on a hotrod ..you know, blower whine. Is this the new belt? At first I thought they may have overtightened the belt affecting bearings in the alternator or something. But it appears the belt tension (play) seems about right.

Reply to
M.Burns

Hmmm..that is interesting. I recently purchased a 2004 Sebring LXi Sedan (sweet!) and have this similar sound that you describe that also changes pitch with engine RPM. It isn't loud, but noticeable. My wife's 2003 Stratus (basically the same car w/ same 2.7 V6 engine) doesn't have this sound. Got it back from the dealer today and they couldn't find any problems, but acknowledged the sound and demonstrated a 2004 Stratus that also had the sound. Maybe you've hit on the source, a new belt design perhaps?

Reply to
James C. Reeves