Hi-pitched whine in '94 TBird 4.6

'94 TBird 4.6, 68k easy mi.

When I start it in the morning, I hear a very hi-pitched whine/squeal from area of motor while car is parked. Gone when motor is fully warm. Been going on for quite some time.

Plenty of power steering fluid. No evidence of PS problem.

I've replaced the belt-tensioner and idler pulleys. With new bearings in the pulleys, I guess it's more-or-less gotta be the alternator? This conclusion is not necessarily consistent with the mileage?

I put a long ratchet extension on alt. housing, open end in my po' ear: I do hear a grinding-like sound, but ...

With the belt off, the alt. pulley spins freely. No up/down or side-to-side play to speak of. Same for forward/backward play. I can hear a little growl-like sound when I spin the pulley if I put my ear close to the alt.

Don't see any evidence of a water pump problem. Stick my finger down under the WP pulley by the weep-hole, it comes back dry.

Any way to confirm it's alt. bearings?

If it is, how to proceed? Practical to rebuild it my-own-self with only moderate skills/tools?

Note: I fished a fix for my long-term broken-odometer problem outa TCCOA (ThunderChicken/Cougar Club of America), was surprised it was still so active, joined, thought I'd post this there. As soon as I was "approved" I got the welcome message: