Need help with belt? whine on '99

'99 Miata, man trans, sport pack, 77K

For awhile there's been an intermittent whine. At first it would occur while making some turns and stop after running straight for a short distance. Now it happens anytime. Seems to be related to engine speed and stops when clutch is depressed. Has only remained once at idle and all I was able to determine is that it's definitely from the front of the motor.

A couple of weeks ago the alternator belt broke. I replaced the belt, but soon after charging current dropped. I had the alternator replaced. They also replaced the (new) belt I had just installed because now it was almost ruined. A few days later the intermittent whine is back. Now I notice that voltage drops to about 13 volts with the whine and goes back to normal when the whine stops.

The whine starts almost inaudibly, then increases before stopping.

Since the whine seems to be connected to the voltage drop I'm assuming that it's not from the power steering pump. My previous experience with bad water pumps is that they start making noise and just get worse or leak. Is this the case with the Miata? Does the state of the thermostat change the stress on the water pump - so that the pulley might temporarily sieze? or could the new alternator be bad on and off?

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Gary Fuchs

Reply to
gfphoto

When they replaced the alternator, was it a new or remanufactured one? Remanufactured electrical parts are pretty much worthless IMHO. Not unusual for a replacement part to be defective in this day and age, especially if it failed the first time because of bad bearings (which isn't something they typically replace when doing a "complete rebuild"). It sounds bearing related since it seems to occur when there is an increased load on the alternator. Good luck with it.

Tom

92 Red

gfphoto wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

Number 4 bearing? You seem to have had problems on both belts. A shaking crankshaft pulley might give you problems with both the PS belt slipping and the alternator being stressed, it seems to me.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks Leon,

The power steering and a/c belt has been okay. If it was a main bearing would this cause a vibration at idle? I checked it at high rpm for about 15 sec. after replacing the belts - everything seemed smooth. How can I check for a bad bearing?

Gary Fuchs

Reply to
gfphoto

The fact that you had a whine while making turns seems to indicate that the ps belt may have been slipping. It used to happen with my SC belt when rotating the steer if the belt was not tight enough.

A rattle, the SB says. I guess you could check crankshaft end play as per the TSB. 0.3 mm should be noticeable.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks Leon,

I'm checking the tension, etc., frequently now. I'm sure I'm due for a new timing belt, water pump, and so forth - but would like to wait until the temperature gets back above freezing...then I'll pull the plugs and try to check out the things you mention.

I suppose the long screwdriver stethoscope would show up a crankshaft rattle. And I guess I should get a shop manual and see how to check the play.

At least today, after about 125 miles, all still seems okay.

Regards,

Gary Fuchs

Reply to
gfphoto

Would not simply grasping the nut with pliers and trying to pull it back and forward show up 0.3 mm play? I don't know, just wonder. It is not a microscopic amount.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

That sounds reasonable. I'll give it a try. I couldn't feel any movement by hand but a little extra force should work.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
gfphoto

just quick / approx math in my thick skull tells me if 2.54cm = 1" than

25.4mm = 1" and .3mm (being less than 1/3rd of a mm) being something less than 1/75th of an inch. I'd say that's pretty close to microscopic. I don't think our elastic hands could sense that, pulling back and forth, could they?

Good luck, Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

It seems to me that our elastic hands could feel this through changes in acceleration, not absolute displacement as you seem to think.

I would feel it if a part is loose by as much as 0.3 mm. It is also a visible distance if you have a reference.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks Chris,

Since the last belt replacement the problem hasn't come back. Maybe it's tight enough now?

I'm not going to venture an opinion about the 1/75th inch...does sound reasonable though....

Cheers,

Gary Fuchs

Reply to
gfphoto