Not enough air from the ducts.

I've got a stumper on my hands with a 92 Caprice that does not blow enough air from the vents, floor or defogger grill on dash.

All outlets are equally poor, almost to the point where you can barely feel air at all. Blower motor is going a mile a minute and works on all speeds. Squirrel cage is not slipping on shaft. It seems sealed well enough, although I can feel a little air coming from the long moulded piece on the flange, not enough IMHO to cause any problems and when I press on it to make a perfect seal it doesn't help much.

No vaccuum hoses appear to be disconnected from the control panel nor the clear plenumm they pass through and I don't hear any hissing nor apparent engine problems due to a leak.

My guess is that since it is ALL OUTLETS, on ANY speed and selection (Max air/Normal/Heat etc) it must be the first door in the system that is somehow stuck partially closed or maybe the primary vaccum supply line doesn't have enough suck.

The FSM is terrible at showing how the system works.

So before I destroy my dash and so forth pulling this pig apart, what is the usual fix for this problem? Any ideas will be much appreciated!

tia psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

<rusto11

Make sure of that. My now-departed '91 had a *ton* of leaks right in this area. Not only did they substantially reduce the airflow in the system, but they also let cold air in from outside. Best remove the blower motor and housing and make sure you haven't got rotten or missing or broken seals.

Agreed.

As another poster mentioned, your problem could be a blocked *inlet* or A/C evaporator.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@alumni.engin.umich.edu:

Have seen leaves get sucked in and block things up also.

Reply to
Anthony

I'm gonna check on both tomorrow. BTW where does the "inlet" come from? Best I can tell is it is on the cowel under where the wiper blades rest? Looks clear up there, but if that were clogged wouldn't the Max/Air position work ok because it recirculates inside air?

tia

Reply to
psycho_pastrami