O2 Sensor problem in 97 Geo Prizm

The check engine light came on in my 97 Geo Prizm. The code was P0141 (O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)) and the Chilton manual said that that was the post-convertor O2 sensor. It had a little diagnostic test I could try and so I tried that out and according to the test it was bad. I replaced the sensor on Saturday, but then today on the way to work the check engine light came on. It was the exact same code. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be? Thanks, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

Try lookinf for burnt/chaffed O2 wires, or loose connections..

Reply to
corning_d3

OBDII doesn't turn off the check engine light until the codes are cleared - take it to an Autozone and they'll check it and clear it for you.

Reply to
silicon212

I assumed it was already off...

Reply to
corning_d3

Ya, I cleared the code and it came back on after driving for about

40-50 miles. Dave

silic> OBDII doesn't turn off the check engine light until the codes are

View this thread:

davejohansen

OBD-II codes only indicate a problem within a circuit, they don't isolate a bad sensor. It's very possible that the O2 sensor you deemed as being defective was okay. How did you test it? How many miles on the vehicle? Did you verify continuity from the ECM to the O2 sensor?

At this point since you changed the sensor and it did not fix the problem it would seem to implicate a wiring problem. Burned or broken wires or a bad ground.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

OFF TOPIC Chris are you the same Chris/Halatos that used to run Ancient Ruins BBS in AZ?

Reply to
silicon212

Reply to
davejohansen