Oddest clutch problem ever! Anyone have any knowledge?

Odd Vehicle also, My Austin FX4 (london Taxi) hyd clutch has some major problem. Started one day when I shifted to second, completely lost drive. If I then dropped the clutch it would "catch" and I could motor on for a few more shifts.(this problem only would happen when the engine was fully up to temp, at which time the clutch would also feel like it had a higher pedal[disengaged earlier]). The pedal is also very inconsistent in its feel, sometimes it is very hard (seems like something is resisting it)and sometimes very soft, (but still generally working).The slave cyl does travel when pedal is pushed, but now I seem to have blown a flex line to the slave cylinder. Could I be lucky and just replace line and slave cyl to fix problem or could it be master cyl or worse, internal trans? Thanks

Reply to
Pete

|Odd Vehicle also, My Austin FX4 (london Taxi) hyd clutch has some |major problem. |Started one day when I shifted to second, completely lost drive. If I |then dropped the clutch it would "catch" and I could motor on for a |few more shifts.(this problem only would happen when the engine was |fully up to temp, at which time the clutch would also feel like it had |a higher pedal[disengaged earlier]). The pedal is also very |inconsistent in its feel, sometimes it is very hard (seems like |something is resisting it)and sometimes very soft, (but still |generally working).The slave cyl does travel when pedal is pushed, but |now I seem to have blown a flex line to the slave cylinder. |Could I be lucky and just replace line and slave cyl to fix problem or |could it be master cyl or worse, internal trans? |Thanks

Sounds to me like you have a diaphragm spring clutch that is going over-center and hanging. Plan on a clutch change. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B