Oil and Gas Mixture

Thinking he had purchased 2-cycle engine oil for his outboard motor, a friend instead mixed marine 4-cycle engine oil with his gas (50:1 ratio). After realizing this, we drained the tank and put in the right oil/gas mixture. Now we have 10 gallons of gas mixed with 4-cycle oil. Can it be used in a car? Any damage possible? Or, worst case... how do we dispose of it safely? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
jpan

Shep

I wouldn't use it in any car I cared about. 50:1 would mean almost a quart of oil for every tank full of gasoline in most cars- that would be akin to EXCESSIVE oil consumption. The engine wouldn't mind, per se, but the spark plugs would foul and the catalyst would work itself into a glowing ball trying to handle that much raw hydrocarbon.

What you could do is put about 1 gallon of that mix in a tank full of pure gasoline for about 10 tankfulls to dilute it to the point that it wouldn't harm the car. You could also burn it straight in a lawnmower or tractor without a catlyst, but you'll have to clean the spark plug(s) regularly.

Reply to
Steve

Burn it in your lawnmower or other small engine, just mix it with some more gasoline unless you want folks to think your running a fogger!!!

Oh and FYI most 2 stroke oil isn't anything special. Mainly it is just a straight weight non detergent oil with a dye added.

Reply to
Steve W.

your only talking about 26 ounces of oil in 10 gallons of gas, not much by comparison (2.5 - oz. / gallon) - if it was me, I'd mix it in 50/50 for use in the ob motor, lawn mower, etc., you can do as you like.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

If this was me, find some hilly billy who will use anything in his machinery, like a chain saw, garden tractor or lawn mower. As long as you say what you've put into it, and experiment with adding a bit of

2-cycle oil and more gasoline if it's going to used for a 2-cycle application, you may get away with not using it for lighting slash piles in the woods. If it'll be used for a 4-cycle, then I'd suggest using a gasoline stablizer additive, Good luck.
Reply to
rudyxhiebert