Difficult CV Axle installation

Hi all,

I'm installing a drive axle for the first time in my '88 Acura Legend. I can easily engage the splines of the inboard end of the axle into the transaxle, but I can't get it to seat the last 3/4" or so to engage the locking clip. Everything I see says don't hammer on these things, but pushing as hard as I can, I can't make it go. Sorry for the stupid question, but what is the trick here?

Thanks, Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Biggs

The trick is to make sure the circlip is not bent and to keep it centered by using grease. If it hangs down it will snag and be difficult to get in. Some hammering may still be required, but we are not talking about using a 4 pound sledge here. A plastic dead blow mallet swung mildly will not hurt the joint.

Reply to
Kevin

Is the clip positioned so the opening is at the bottom?

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks for the tips - I bet the circlip isn't positioned in the best way. If I want to try and tap the joint together with a rubber mallet, would it be OK to lightly strike the spindle end of the axle? It seems like it would be very tricky to try and strike the inner joint itself.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Biggs

hold the axel straight and strike the end..it's a little tricky...make sure you're already aplying pressure on it before you strike it, by pushing the axel in

Reply to
taz