oil and knock from rocker arms/lifters

I was one who did not like the bad press that FRAM got, based on meaningless 'saw open and see' evaluations. I had used FRAM because they were readily available and because I had never had any problems with them.

I have still seen no incontrovertible test data on the performance of the commonly available filters. I am rather certain that objective data exists, but -if so- I haven't found it for free over the internet.

The ADBV on the FRAM has been cited many times as appearing to be inferior in materials and concept. Since it costs little (or nothing) more to go with filters which seem to have a better designs and materials -lack of statistical data notwithstanding-I no longer use FRAM filters.

Reply to
<HLS

Yes but you are saying the filter media already does that job.

Well the only way oil is going to flow out the "out" side of the filter is if there is somewhere for either oil or air to get in to replace it. It isn't going to draw more oil up from the oil pan. The way most engine oil plumbing is designed is that it is uphill from the "out" side of the filter and downhill from the "in" side. Even on a Dart where the "out" is facing somewhat downward the oil galley is above the filter. The only way your theory will work is if there is some sort of air leak at the filter gasket or in the plumbing from the pan to the filter. I suppose "leaky pipes" is a viable theory why this "Bad Fram filter thing" doesn't happen to new engines in good condition only old worn out engines. You may have something there. Like I said before I have never actually witnessed the problem myself so I have no way to diagnose the problem except by accounts from others. But I do know the people who do claim to have the problem always have an old Camaro or Mustang or Fiero or Dodge Dart or whatever that is always at least 20 years old.

-jim

Reply to
jim

....until 1980. :-)

They added hydraulic lifters to the slant six starting with a few experimental engines in about 77, and it went into production in either '79 or '80 (I forget which). Its a really bass-ackward system where the lifters were pressurized through the pushrods FROM the rocker arms instead of the other way around. But it did work, and worked well. Too bad that by then the slant was gagged with emission controls, a puny cam, and no plans to modernize it as was done with the smallblock v8s.

Reply to
Steve

I missed that era completely or else my memory fails me! Worked on and owned lots of slant 6's, I guess they were all earlier.

Don

Don