Oil specifications

Looking in my TD5 Handbook, it quotes ACEA B1 & B2 engine oils as suitable.

What about B3?

Does this just at least comply with the other B1 & B2?

Cheers.

Reply to
Rob Knot

There is nothing special in B1 or B2 oil. I haven't looked into B3 but it doesn't always hold true that the next number up is better. An example is ACEA E5 which is quite inferior to E4 except that it conforms to some different emission regulations.

FWIW and unless indicated to the contrary, I would almost certainly use synthetic oil meeting ACEA E4 and MB228.5 specifications in the engine at the first service and later. This is what I use in the BMW engined Range Rover and is far superior to what LR specify as acceptable. IMHO LR are lax in their minimum oil requirement and always have been. They were 15 years too late specifying better oil for their gearboxes and they do not specify anything like the quality of oil that BMW does for the same engines with the same service intervals. It is almost as if they actually want their engines to wear out prematurely.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Huw" wrote in reply to

BMW have their own spec longlife oil made by Castrol it's SLX LL04 and is

0w-30. ACEA A3/B3/B4/C3 whatever than means.

So what oil would you use in my 90 van engine and gearbox Huw? Both are due for a change as are all the fluids. It's a 1987 2.5 petrol with the LT77 gearbox and I'd prefer to use the best oil available.

Handbook says ... Engine ...Castrol GTX 15w-50 Gearbox... Castrol TQF

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Surely the whole point of a Land Rover engine is that it will run on any old crap - in LR's traditional markets (now mostly gone) the choice of oil was take it or leave it!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Like you say, those markets are mostly gone. The point is that the latest engines are state-of-the-art, as they must be, with competitive service intervals of between 12000 and 15000 miles despite emission systems which tend to pollute oil. These sort of intervals call for something better than used to be used in Series vehicles which had services every 4500 to 6000 miles.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Land Rover do not specify that quality of oil in the TD4 and TD6 engines.

Well it means all things to all men. Too many specifications without being specific about the minimum requirement. ACEA is the European engine constructors accociation which sets performance standards, similar to the American API. Some of the above are petrol standards and some diesel. I honestly don't think Land Rover know what should be used. At the least they are not good at articulating plainly.

Brand is not important. Any petrol oil meeting API SG will be good for your engine. Personally I would use a long drain multifleet mineral oil meeting API SG or SL *and* diesel API CG4 or CH4 in 15w/40 viscosity because it is a superb specification which gives some considerable leeway for extending the service interval with confidence if you are forgetful or on a holiday etc when service falls due.

Your gearbox recommendation for ATF is obsolete and superseded by MTF94 type oil which is compatible, so no worries about what is left in there mixing with the new MTF.

Both the above oils are readily available at all factors.

The transfer box takes any oil but I would always use a light viscosity oil because it aids economy and splashes to the top shafts better. Mine has always been run on SAE 75 equivalent, specifically Super Tractor Oil Universal of 10w/30 viscosity. I use this spec because it is nice and thin and has exceptional qualities, being suitable for differentials [which you have in the transfer box] and epicyclic geartrains in the heaviest of industrial equipment. It is also suitable for wet brakes and clutch packs, but that is incidental. It is also suitable for any manual gearbox wanting EP75w/80 and probably your main gearbox, although I would stick with the MT specific oil.

You wanted the best, presumably at an economic price, and you have got it.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Without wishing to sound rude unless you have had the vehicle from new or know its' complete history it is pretty academic at that age. Good quality will do.

I have a customer who insists on mobil one in his disco and he changes it every 3,000 miles a total waste of money.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Yes, good quality will do. Anything API rated 'will do' as long as it is serviced as per book and not less than yearly.

Absolutely agree.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Huw" >>

SG *to* SL.

Huw

*and* diesel API CG4 or CH4 in 15w/40 viscosity because it is a
Reply to
Huw

"Huw" wrote>

Printed off and put in the Handbook, thanks Huw. I notice you recommend a lighter oil in the Transfer box than the Castrol Hypoy SAE 90EP that the Handbook says.

I used to use Mobil 1 and change it every 3,000 miles but that was a few years ago on a sporty car that screamed to 7,000 revs a few times every journey not on a chugging LR. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

If you look carefully you should find that the handbook gives a whole vast range of suitable viscosity for the transfer box from ATF to EP90. It certainly does and did in all mine. I favour light viscosity but for absolute assurance of a long life [at least as far as lubrication goes] I also favour the heavy duty STOU/SUTO type in either 10w/30 or 15w/30 viscosity. Also suitable would be a similar viscosity UTTO or universal tractor transmission oil but any spare of that would not be suitable for topping up the engine oil level while STOU would be.

Huw

Reply to
Huw