oil capacity and lifespan

Most 4-cylinder engines (anything up to say 2.5L) have around 4 litres oil capacity. A Jeep V8 5.2L engine has 4.7 litres oil capacity. Does it mean the oil has a tougher life in the V8 compared to the 4-cyl given the same driving condition? And so that means more frequent oil changes for the V8?

bobby9ez

Oil change frequency in the example you give, in my opinion, would be determined by the quality of the oil, oil & air filters and even the fuel. Given that both test senarios had all the same fuels & similar carburation, oils and filters, I doubt there would be a need for a shorter oil change interval in the V8. Interesting lab test for sure. This might be a good question to ask a tech guy at a synthetic lube place. RH

rudyxhiebert

No, it just means there are more places on the Jeep that need oiling, so there's more oil needed in there.

I see no reason to change oil more often than every 3,000 miles on any vehicle, unless under the most rugged of conditions. But you should change your oil _before_ it starts to break down.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I suspect that it is related to the functional area of the frictional surfaces, as you have suggested. Having enough oil to moderate temperature variations that you would normally encounter might be another issue.

It is an interesting question. I dont think that one would have to talk to a synthetic oil technician. Whether dino or synth, leading lubricants companies probably have all the answers to the questions we have been mulling over. Getting a straight and unequivocal answer may be another thing.

You may remember that when GM came out with the 4 cylinder Fiero, they had a small oil sump, 3.5-4 quarts or suchlike. Very quickly they recalled these cars and refitted with a 5 quart sump.

Reply to
<HLS

2 banks of 4-cyl almost certainly have much more if not double the total friction area compared to a single bank. Using less than a litre of additonal oil to cover that extra area looks like the oil needs to work harder, meaning their additives would be depleted faster (?)

B.

Reply to
bobby9ez

It depends on the driver. Typically a 4 cylinder revs higher and works harder than a 6 or 8. Higher revs = higher stresses. That's why 4's don't last long compared to a 6 or 8. Assuming the driver runs the hell out of the 4 trying to keep up with the 6's and 8's, I would expect a 4 to need much more frequent oil changes.

Reply to
« Paul »