oil in radiator 99 civic

Ok so i have a 99 honda civic ex with 150k miles. The car runs great, doesn't overheat, and doesn't smoke, but if you remove the radiator cap, there is a film of oil on top that is pretty thick. I have an old mustang and i'm pretty knowledgable on mechincs and i know this is a sign of a cracked head or blown headgasket, but there are no other signs. My oil isn't milky with antifreeze, and like i said it doesn't overheat or smoke. After the car has been sitting for a while and i start it, right when i take off it will cut out once then be fine from then on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Mr.Eastley

i forgot to add that it is a manual and doesn't have a tranny cooler.

Reply to
Mr.Eastley

Anyone put any Bahrs radiator stop leak in the coolant? Might not be engine oil you're seeing.

Reply to
Noozer

Not that i know of. I have flushed the radiator with the oil in it, and it is still there. When i bought the car the antifreeze was clean also.

Reply to
Mr.Eastley

When did you last CHANGE the antifreeze?

Change the antifreeze and drive for a while and see what happens. You're probably fine. And keep changing it every couple years.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

not that i know of. I have flushed the radiator and it's comes back. When i bought it the antifreeze was clean.

Reply to
Mr.Eastley

The thing is, a tiny amount of oil will cause that problem, and even flushing the radiator is apt to leave a few traces behind. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have other problems, but I _would_ keep flushing it on a regular schedule just like you do with all the other fluids in the car.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

i will definately keep driving it, my only concern is how the oil got there.

Reply to
Mr.Eastley

Almost certainly through a leaky gasket. Nothing seals perfectly. Get an MG or a Humbert and you'll just learn to expect leaks.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

would tightening any head bolts help at all? I was also told it could possibly be the air intake gasket but i've never heard of that being the cause.

Reply to
Mr.Eastley

Help what? You haven't established that it's a problem in any way, and tightening the head bolts is apt to cause a problem that you don't have. Unless there is some sign that there's an actual problem, don't worry about it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey