Oil in the Antifreeze, but no Antifreeze in the Oil!

Ok I have a 1990 Toyota Corolla Wagon, 1.6L EFI 5 speed. We (dad and I) recently hauled the engine out to put a different one it upon realizing that it was not all the same. So the antifreeze that came out of the engine that came out of our car, had a skim of Oil on the top, and the over flow bottle was about 25% Oil and 75% antifreeze. SO we didn't know why this was, the car ran fine, there was no antifreeze in the Oil, and there was no signs of a head gasket gone. So we change the antifreeze and put the motor back in (This was the first day of September) I was under the hood of the car poking around making sure everything was doing great. And I pulled the Top off of the Overflow bottle, and was surprised to find that again I had Oil in there.so we took the rad cap off, and there was a small amount in there as well. But again no Antifreeze in the Oil. and no signs of a blown head gasket. and the car works great. Does anybody know what might be the problem?? because oil in the anitfreeze can't be overly good for the car?

Reply to
72Capri

If this car has an oil/water heat exchange, that is often the cause. Don't know if does, tho.

Reply to
timbirr

If the oil you are seeing in the antifreeze is motor oil, then the possibilities are a head gasket leak, warped or cracked head, and cracked engine block. The only way to tell for sure is to remove the head. It is possible for oil to contaminate the antifreeze without antifreeze getting into the oil.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah but if this were to happen (Cracked/Warped Block, Warped/Cracked Head, Or Head Gasket, The car wouldn't run as well as it does?

Reply to
72Capri

I don't know how well the car runs, but a driveability problem will not necessarily be evident if the coolant and oil are not getting into the combustion chambers. In other words, a cracked block, warped or cracked head, or leaking head gasket will not necessarily make the engine run poorly. A warped engine block is not a likely event.

Reply to
Ray O