'86 nissan stanza - won't start, no noise, electricity is there

I own an '86 Nissan Stanza wagon (4wd) and last night I stopped the car and when I came back five minutes later, it would not start.

I turn the key and the lights go on, but there is no noise from the engine except this very faint, steady noise that goes away after a few seconds, like a small electric motor or something.

The headlights and radio, etc. all come on at full strength.

Today I tried the car and it turned right on.

The car is not a super happy car in general. Here's a list of symptoms it has had for awhile:

burns through oil steadily (2 quarts a month) poor/no compression in one cylinder (says my mechanic) smell of burning/C02 or something - comes from the front of the car (I had a front exhaust piece fabricated, so maybe that just doesn't work)

Other than that, it is A-ok.

I love this car a whole lot and want to drive it for a long time. I'm hoping somebody will say something like,

"oh, that's the ignition switch. it costs 25 bucks and you can replace it yourself if you are very modestly handy with a screwdriver."

Am I living a fantasy world? Do I need to buy my friend Joe's 1987 Nissan Stanza wagon (4wd)?

Reply to
simonmaxhill

Like a fuel pump?

It sounds as though your starter isn't engaging. Start diagnosis by finding the starter, then it's solenoid wire (small gauge wire), then checking it with a test light while someone turns the key to "start". If you have voltage here, all of your switch and relay circuitry is good; perhaps not good enough to turn the starter, but atleast there isn't a dead open in the circuit. You can also try carefully tapping on an aluminum or steel portion of the starter while the no-start problem is present. Have someone hold the key to "start" again and tap on the starter with a smallish hammer. If it starts cranking after a good whack, you can bet the starter is faulty.

Sounds like the junkyard is calling.

Don't get too attached to it if it costs more to fix than to replace with a fully functioning, non oil belching car.

$25 from a junkyard maybe... I'm betting on a starter or relay though. Screwdriver? No.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Starter is not engaging. Either the starter is bad, or the flywheel is damaged. More likely a bad starter. What you are hearing is the starter turning without being connected to the engine.

These two things would indicate you probably need a new engine.

Without smelling it I don't know what this is.

That's a whole lot.

No, but you need a new starter and a rebuilt engine from a competent rebuilder.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey