white smoke in 2000 Sienna

I bought a 2000 Sienna three years ago at 20,000 miles. It now has

50,000 miles, and literally two days before putting the van on a ship to move from Hawaii to Texas, it starts spewing white smoke on start-up. I searched the internet and found out about the online petition to make Toyota recall these vehicles because of sludge (gellation?) problems. I don't know anything about cars, and I know that a little learning is a dangerous thing, which is why I've always followed the instructions to change the oil, etc., to the letter.

My questions are:

1) What exactly is causing the smoke? In other words, what is sludge, where does it come from, what does it have to do with oil, and why does it only happen on start up and during acceleration (e.g., when overtaking on the freeway, etc.)?

2) No engine lights go on, so does this mean there isn't anything wrong with the car? (I know, obviously there's something wrong, but if so, why no engine lights?)

3) What should I watch out for? If the engine is burning up oil, then I assume I should keep a close eye on the oil level, but is there anything else?

4) Is it really true that it's okay to drive the car like this? (Aside from all the dirty stares I get from other drives caught in the goddamn contrail I leave behind...) Will it really not affect the engine, as long as I keep the oil levels high enough?

5) If/when I do have to fix this, does it really have to cost $5,000+? Is there any other way to take care of this?

Thanks, Marc

Reply to
Marc Adler

I think it is called "oil gelling."

Without actually seeing the smoke, it is difficult to tell what the cause is for sure.

White smoke is generally a sign that coolant has gotten into the combustion chambers.

Blue or blue-grey smoke is generally a sign that the engine is burning oil. This smoke does tend be more noticeable on startus and during acceleration.

Black smoke is generally a sign that the engine is not burning all of the fuel entering the combustion chamber.

The "check engine" light is more to warn the operator that an emissions component is not working properly. Not all parts of the vehicle are monitored by sensors.

Unfortunately, if clouds of smoke are visible from the tailpipe, then something is probably wrong.

Keep an eye on the oil level, make sure it does not take on a milky appearance.

Also keep an eye on the coolant level, make sure it does not take on an oily appearance.

The clouds of smoke will not cause you to be stranded on the side of the road, as long as oil level, oil pressure, and coolant levels are OK, however, the O2 sensors and catalytic converter will eventually get contaminated, you will get a check engine lights, and if that happens, the vehicle will not pass an emissions test.

A new engine can easily cost $5,000. If you have all of your oil change receipts, the car may be covered by a special policy adjustment. Take it to a Toyota dealer for evaluation.

Reply to
Ray O

Maybe they had to elect a new Pope. Clearly the first vote was successful, else you'd have got black smoke.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. But I did keep it non-political. Good luck with the Sienna, BTW.)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

How do I check the coolant level?

And if I don't have all my oil change receipts, and I do wind up having to buy a new engine, is there some sort of consolation? Will I be able to drive the car that much longer? Will the odometer return to 000000? In other words, is there any kind of silver lining to the black cloud of having to replace the engine?

Marc

Reply to
Marc Adler

Open the hood and look at the coolant overflow bottle. It is a white translucent plastic bottle, I think on the passenger side of the engine compartment. There are probably 2 different white translucent plastic bottles on the passenger side of the engine compartment- one where just the neck is visible for the windshield washer fluid and one where you can see the entire bottle. It should be connected to the radiator neck with a black rubber tube.

If it has genuine Toyota coolant, the coolant should be translucent red, and if it has aftermarket coolant , then it should be a translucent yellowish-green. The coolant overflow bottle has "cold" and "hot" markings, and the coolant should be above the "cold" mark.

The consolation in a new engine that you pay for is that you get a new engine that will perform like, well, a new engine, and the heads are designed to be a little more tolerant of "extended" oil change intervals.

BTW, you do not need all of your oil change receipts, just enough to prove that you took reasonable care of the engine. The dealership will probably want you to authorize some dollar amount, probably around $200 or so, for removal of a valve cover for inspection to see if it qualifies for the special policy adjustment. If it does not qualify, you can have them put the valve cover back on and just keep driving, or you can have them fix it on your ticket.

In either case, they will probably transfer stuff from the old engine, like the alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump, etc. and you may have to pay for new belts, and stuff like that.

Reply to
Ray O

Well I guess you will have learned your lesson and will change the oil.

The car should last 300 K more if you learn how to take care of it...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I mentioned in my first message that I don't know anything about cars, which is why I followed all the instructions to the letter, including oil changes according to the date/mileage on the little sticker they put at the top of the windshield.

Marc

Reply to
Marc Adler

I think this may not be related to maintenance at all.

Some Toyota Sienna's made in 2000 have a manufacturing defect that causes the engine to do what you are describing. Evidently the problem occurs without any indication. A friend with a '02 Sienna XLE had the same problem and Toyota replaced the engine as it was under 3 yrs/36k miles Search the web and you should find differing experiences. IMHO - Toyota screwed up and will try to pass the buck where they can...

Reply to
 TBlade

That is bullshit and you know it. In most cases, Toyota admits their mistakes and works to fix them. Unless the issue is something that could compromise the safety of its occupants, it is the big 3 who deny the existence of problems on their cars. The best current example of this is the intake manifold gasket problem on many GM V6's.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

GM extended the warranty on problem intake manifolds a long time ago.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter