Oil Leak on '86 BMW E30

The engine on my BMW 323 is leaking oil. What's more is that the oil is dripping down on the exhaust, and the oil smoke is then drawn into the car through the car's ventilation system aided by the blower.

I think it's the head gasket that's leaking, because there's oil leaking all along the engine on the exhaust side. Now, I have two options:

One; fix the oil leak. This is probably going to be expensive and time consuming. Also, I won't be able to use the car while I'm fixing it.

Two; make sure that the oil doesn't drip on the exhaust. This is the easiest solution.

Right now I'm leaning towards option #2, and wait with #1 until the summer when it's nice and warm outside.

So, what would be the best way to achieve #2? I'm guessing either trying to seal the leak above the exhaust or building some kind of shield over it.

Here are some pictures I took. Unfortunately, the quality is pretty much worthless, so I doubt they're useful.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks,

Ulf

Reply to
camaroz28

Are you sure it's not just leaking from the cylinder head cover gasket instead? I could not tell from your photos.

How bad is the oil consumption? Is there any evidence of coolant in the oil? Oil in the coolant? Any smoke from the exhaust pipe? What colour?

As far as I know, a head gasket failure is not something to put off repairs on.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Low

It doesn't sound to me like it's the head gasket; you'd likely have other symptoms if it were that, rather than an oil leak. Like the previous poster suggested, it might be the rocker gasket, which is a fairly straight forward inexpensive job. My guess is that it's coming from a pipe or hose, joint or union, which also should not be too difficult or expensive.

But my definite advice would be to get a sympathic mechanic to look at it, and unless the diagnosis means more money than the car is worth, get it fixed pronto. Oil leaks are never nice and that one, onto the exhaust, sounds right nasty and noxious indeed!

My 11 cents' worth, HTH

Another Michael (E30 318IS 1990)

a écrit dans le message : Jrusb.33447$ snipped-for-privacy@newsb.telia.net...

Reply to
Shadowman

I would agree that the valve cover gasket is most likely the cause of the leaking oil. In American cars, another likely suspect is the oil pressure sender. If you can find it on this car, take a look at it and the area around it.

Depending on what's in the way, it is not that difficult to change the gasket or pressure sender. Parts should be pretty cheap.

Also, the head gasket doesn't really seal oil (seals compression/exhaust and water flow between block and heads). When the head gasket fails, you can get coolant flow into the oil, but I cannot say I've ever heard of oil leaking to the outside of the engine.

Look at pressure sender. If puddle of oil around it, change it, clean up engine and drive. If leak persists, change valve cover gasket (I assume there is only 1 since it looks like this is a straight 4 or 6 cylinder motor, but a V motor will have 2).

bb

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Reply to
bobby

I think I've found the cause of the leak. After removing the valve cover I noticed that the valve cover gasket isn't exactly in the best condition. There's also oil on the outside of the engine right below the gasket, which was my first clue it might be leaking (I know I should have checked this before crawling under the car, not to mention posting..).

I took a few pictures, here's the most detailed one:

I'm surprised the previous owner didn't bother changing it, he must have had the same problem as me (I've only had the car a month).

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advise to check the valve cover gasket!

Ulf

Reply to
camaroz28

Agree with that.

My wifes Golf developed a leak, which made a mess on the garage floor.

I was almost convinced that it was the flywheel side crank seal.

As the problem got worse, I tried to find where the oil came from, as the engine was oily on the forward side. I did notice that it was mostly behind the pressure sender, and when I removed the rubber boot on it, the boot was filled with oil. I blew the sender dry and started the engine, and I saw oil seeping up at the elecrical connector.

I replaced the sender, washed the engine and the garage floor is now totally dry :-)

On the other hand, from the pictures it seems to me that the leak is forward of the sender.

Wash the engine and take a good look after a short drive.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom