Okay, what's the truth about engine break-in?

There seem to be two camps. I've seen those that advocate stomping on the engine to high revs and backing off in the initial break-in because of some alleged benefit.

Then there's a more traditional school of thought, such as this post:

Both claim scientific reasons for their method. It seems the "flog the engine" guys say to change the oil soon after an initial run period of say 20 miles to get rid of initial metal particles, the above quoted appears to say those metal particles are beneficial.

Any thoughts? Real world tests of engines broken in one way vs another?

Reply to
Doc

The Corvette manual says to just drive the damn thing hard, no special oil change required.

In fact, the Corvette engineers say that if you baby it initially, you won't be happy in the long run with the engine's performance.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Just drive it as you normally would. Check your owners manual as well. Change the oil at the manufacturer recommended intervals.

Reply to
Ph

Reference for this, please.

However, even if this is true, this may not apply to say a Civic or a Prius.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

One poster said he would accelerate the engine to the redline. I'm clearly no expert, but I've never had the engine in either of my Toyotas within 1500 rpms of the redline, and in fact tend to back off on the accelerator to get the trans to shift into a higher gear as soon as warranted. I've got 140K on the older engine and 55K on the newer one with no problems and they perform perfectly. So I'll leave the redlining to somebody else.

Reply to
mack

I was talking about intentional downshifts...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Are you saying that with a bit of tongue in cheek Ray? That web site uses Honda F3 (600cc) motorcycle engine pistons as an example. That is not really a fair comparison IMHO. Honda uses a completely different metallurgy for their CBR engine sleeves and rings than a mass produced, street auto engine. That is partly how they can get a 11500 rpm red line out of that motor. He is absolutely correct for the motorcycle application. I have owned and pulled apart many.

I am only aware of one manufacturer (Aprilia) that fills new motors with synthetic oil, and it does hinder a timely break in, IMHO. New model sport bike motors are some of the highest internal combustion engine technology, money can buy. Some exceeding aircraft quality. Incredible power to weight ratios result in a high performance package you can purchase for street use. Some will nearly travel 200 mph out of the box and acceleration almost second to none.

Reply to
Ph