What's the truth

Recently bought an OB and it getting time for replacing the timing belt. I keep hearing that also need to change the water pump and reseal the oil pump at same time. Are these other items real reliability issues or is it just that due to the amount of work getting access to the timing belt, it makes good sense to spent a few more $$ and take care of these other potential problems?

The OB replaced and older Sentra with 260k miles on it and still had original WP and front main oil seal and no problems with either.

Just wonder'n

TIA

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

the latter.

Reply to
Dominic Richens
260 k miles on a water pump is awfully long, could have been replaced during a related repair (timing belt, cooling problem repair etc) and you wouldn't know it unless you looked at each bill. Subaru dealer says they rarely replace pumps before 200k km (120 k miles), I replaced one on a legacy that was completely seized at 180 k km (108 k miles). There was some squeaking, but the tip off was the temp gauge went to the max a couple of minuites after starting. The car had just come back a few days before from a 600 mile trip; it's no fun getting stuck in another city or on the hwy with a problem like this. Same for the seal and oil pump, since they are readily repaired when the belt is off.

Ed B.

Reply to
ed

Was hoping that but wasn't sure. Some Toyota's have ext pumps like Subaru and it got me thinking. Son's Toyota can't get past 80k miles without a new oil seal.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Since I'm the only one that has touched the car in last 10 yrs I think I would have told myself if I had replaced either the pump or oil seal but thanks anyway.

I hated to get rid of the Sentra as it has been such a reliable auto. The only other thing replaced on the engine was the alt @ 180k miles.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey