old camber/caster gauge usage

Another decades old tool I've dug up. The Weaver 3 way gauge.

The actual gauge portion is very much like the modern gauges and using it shouldn't be a problem. Plus the instructions are written on it. The problem is mounting it to the car/wheel.

It's obviously some sort of hub mount, but instead of a magnet that modern gauges have, this has some sort of claw. Does anyone know how this is supposed to attach to the car? Would it even work on a modern car? Or are there parts missing that I have yet to dig up?

Pictures are here:

thanks.

Reply to
Brent P

Is says "king pin" on it, is it supposed to mount on top of a king pin on an old pre ball joint car?

Bernard (not knowing)

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Yes. It won't work on a car with ball joints so send it to me.

nate

(two cars with kingpin front ends) (kidding!!! don't really know either)

Reply to
N8N

Could be, that bubble gauge is too close to the pivot so I couldn't get a good image of it on the scanner.

The top (horiz) has the text "caster correction" above it, and "king pin" below it. The one on the left (vert) just reads "camber" and the one on the right (vert) reads "caster" and "camber correction". The first and third can be zeroed with thumb screws on the back.

I've got all the 50s vintage alignment tools I think. Have one or two plates that go under the wheels, something that looks like it is for measuring toe, an entire 'alignment rack' lift that is disassembled that I still have to unstack and see what all is there. And of course two of these 'weaver 3 way gauges'.

I've got new tires on my mustang and just replaced a tie rod end. (I marked the initial location and still have the same toe setting as before) Can't find anything else wrong in the front end and just want to make sure the alignment is ok since the last set of tires had uneven wear. Although so far the new ones seem to be wearing perfectly even over 200 miles or so.

Guess I'll just have to bring it in for alignment. I should be able to check the toe though.

Reply to
Brent P

:) Even if I can't use them, I don't know if I can part with them. They are some of the stuff left over from my grandfather's service station.

Now the old on-car wheel balancer... that he did show me how to use once so I have a vauge idea how to work it ;)

But if you want to drive your 50s cars to chicago Nate, you're more than welcome to stop by and use the tools. It's all era correct for your cars. I've even got a box of alignment shims! But that may be too much of a collector's item now to deplete.

Reply to
Brent P

The problem is, I can't drive to Chicago because I can't adjust the alignment on the '55 coupe right now! :) no need for shims on a Studebaker though.

nate

(hoping my new trunnion comes in today)

Reply to
N8N