Options on mini car-lifts?

Hi all,

I could lift my land rover by about 3 to 4 feet in my garage before it hits the ceiling, and my other car probably enough to walk under. I don't really want a permanent 2 post lift, as its nice to just drive in straight for most of the time.

So I'm open to suggestions here, from ridiculous sized home made ramps to portable scizzor lifts to a set of 4 jacks. Garage is spacious with one double-width door, but I can only really get one car inside if I want room to work on it.

Thanks!

Dean

Reply to
Dean

"Dean" writes in article dated 27 Jul 2005

19:40:12 -0700:

They make lifts which are intended to turn 1 parking space into 2 -- lift up the first car and you can drive the second in under it. But I suspect these have floors without holes, to keep the top car from dripping on the bottom one.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

These lifts are actually dual purpose: parking and fixing. They are 4 post, and come w/ optional pans to catch drips, etc. They come in 2 lit heights, as well. I had researched this a little, got some info. The American-made company charges between $1800 and $2600 for their various versions, and the whole unit is heavy, almost 2,000 lbs., iirc. Very stable, they claim, will not tip. W/ a little welding, could put casters on this to make it portable--w/ admittedly some heaving/ho'ing.

I was going to put one in my driveway, either a 2 or 4 post, but the driveway is angled and curved, just wouldna worked out super-great. If the OP is interested, email me for links. For his purposes, I think these would be great.

Altho the 4 post of course lifts the car by the wheels, they also make a jack adapter of sorts, where you can now lift the car off the ramp, so that the wheels are free, as well.

Also, there's this book/catalog/resource for car restoration that has at least a dozen of these companies advertising. Forgot that name as well, but could get it. Most new garages use versions of these, instead of the old piston in the ground.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®