OT: Old style hyd. Car Lift info??

I have a 2600 sqft shop and putting a 1400 sqft addition on it. In this expansion, I want to put in an Ole Time gas station hydraulic lift. (not intrested in the two post or four post modern lifts)

I had one given to me and when I went to pick it up, someone had stolen the hydraulic pump unit. So what I have is the 8ft cylinder with the hoist head fitting/arms,etc. and I still plan to put that in the floor of the shop before I lay the concrete (along with the piping).

I will have to locate some sort of high volume 125psi hydraulic unit. Not sure where to look for this (cheap).

I'm also considering Air over Hydraulic and just upgrade my shop compressor to something that could deliver a high volume at 125psi or more. ( I will also be doing some sandblasting so I can justify this upgrade).

From the size of the cylinder, I am estimating that I will need about 60 gal. of hydraulic oil and wonder if a used 60 gal water tank would work if it would stand pressure to 150psi or so (for a safety factor).

Just thinking Out Loud!!

Thoughts or experiences welcome?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I believe the "old fashion type" is now illegal in some states and not OSHA approved. Might be good news or bad. There has to be some old hardware for it available somewhere. But will your insurance cover it.

Reply to
ferretkona

This is for my own personal shop use and I still see them in local gas stations. They can be retro fitted, if required, with the appropriate safeties.

When I look at some of these Two Post lifts, I wonder just how safe they are, if some joker loads them improperly.

My insurance company is OK as long as I'm not "Open For Business". (non commercial)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

A center post lift is very inconvenient and by the time you buy the hydraulics to run it will likely be way more costly than a modern two post lift. There are companies that sell replacement air over oil tanks for the old lifts if you simply must have one. Don't forget about insurance to cover ground comtamination and abatement should your old timer spring a leak.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Based on the warning chart on the new type which includes the international symbol for "run like hell" I would expect that they are no safer when it comes to operator error.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Even the ancient air-over-oil hydro lift in the 40s-vintage gas station that I used when I was growing up had a mechanical safety interlock that wouldn't let it drop if it lost pressure. I can't imagine why it would be illegal. A maintenance headache, yes (thats one deep hole you have to dig, and a whole lot of hydro oil!). The only possible reason I can think of is that it didn't have a progressive lock, it would only lock at full height so it could conceivably drop if only raised partway. But it would take a dumb operator to get under it before it reached full height.

Reply to
Steve

Pete C. wrote

Is that the one that shows a stain on the stick-figure's pants? :-)

Reply to
Steve

No it shows the guy with feet going a mile a minute and his hat flying off as the car tips off the lift.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hee hee! I love that decal of 9 different no-nos as depicted by stick figures. They can be really expressive when their life is in danger...

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish