Slave Cylinder

What is up with the slave cylinder on manual transmission Ford's. I've got a

2002 F150 with 28,000 miles and the friggin slave goes out.I've seen several people say they have had bad luck with theirs also.I guess this is one of Ford's better ideas. At least Ford fixed this one,but what about after the next 28,000 miles.I guess it will be on my dime then. Larry
Reply to
L.D.Cosby

Yeah what's up with that? Why hydralic? What's wrong with mechanical? :/

My son's Toyotee has a hydralic clutch that is "self adjusting" which means it's adjusted how it is and you can't adjust it the way you want it unless, of course, the way you wanted it is the way it adjusts itself. Whew.

On the other hand, I have my clutch ajusted the way I want it (weird for sure, and you know it :/ ) because it's mechanical.

If something changes inside the clutch I know it, even if the change takes a year.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

The real problem isn't hydraulic vs. mechanical. It's the way the slave cylinder is combined in one unit with the throwout bearing. My 2001 F-150 went out at 40K miles. You can't just unbolt the slave (as on most MT vehicles) bolt on a new one, and bleed the system. It's necessary to pull the tranny because of the throwout bearing being incorporated. My local Ford dealer wanted about $375 for labor and $80 for the part. I had it done by a local tranny shop and saved $80 bucks even though the part cost more than at the dealer. If I'd picked up the part myself Autozone I could have saved another $50 or $60. But that's a far cry from what I'm used to paying to R&R a slave cylinder.

Reply to
KBee