Out of vehicle fuel pump test

I need to replace the fuel pump in my brothers 1994 Caravan (3.0 in tank pump) He can`t afford a new one and I refuse to pay for it however I have a friend who works at the local junkyard and I can take any fuel pump from a Caravan there for free (Provided I do all the labor,etc) ..What would be the best way to see if the pump I took off one of the junk vans was working before installing it all the way into my brothers van?..Just leave the wires attached and maybe supplying voltage to it for a second or two?.. Thanks..... And yes I know getting a pump from a junked van isn`t the best idea but that`s what we have to do at this time so hopefully it`ll run for a bit afterwards

Reply to
Sara Brown

Other than submerging it into oil and applying power, there isn't much you can do. BUT, you should first of all check the odometer before you pull it. Get it from a car that has low mileage on it. If possible, look for a badly wrecked car since your chances are good that it was running when it was scrapped. Check the thing with an ohmmeter before you pull it. If it measures more than 50 ohms or so, leave it alone.

The problem is that when these things are left in empty tanks they have a tendency to corrode and rust. So you want one that is as clean looking as possible, but you don't know until you pull it.

I'd be reluctant to do even that without having it immersed in some kind of liquid. Maybe stick it in kero or something else that is less apt to explode than gasoline.

In that case, pull a couple of them so you will have spares. And why are you doing this instead of making your brother do all the work? You gotta love somebody a lot to pull a junkyard fuel pump for them... it's no fun. I wouldn't do it for my siblings....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Personally I would pull the ENTIRE tank and pump from one that had been wrecked with low mileage. Cut the straps and the lines and be done in 10 minutes. Then inspect it good for rust/crud. If the tank looks good inside just install it. Easier and since your taking a gamble anyway it's faster.

Now how do you KNOW the pump is the problem? Has the inertia switch and wiring been ruled out? both relays are OK

Reply to
Steve W.

Bad news is that a lot of junkyards punch the tanks to get the fuel out of them. It's hard to find an intact tank in some places.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yeah it depends on the yard. My local one pulls the tanks and uses the pump to suck them dry. Another one punches the tank.

I figured the "friend" may know of a couple squirreled away for those who don't want to buy a new tank.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes unfortunately the junkyards here puncture the gas tanks when the vehicles are prepped for the yard...I was thinking of simply installing a simple electric external fuel pump in the thing and not even mess with it but I have been told that won`t work for a number of reasons

Reply to
Sara Brown

The problem with junk yard testing a fuel pump is that gasoline is very daingerous. Of course we all know this, and so do I, but there I was "hot wiring" the pump of an Astro one day. Everytime I touched the stripped wires to power there was a large spark. I still don't know why I'm still here. I was doing this only inches above the gasoline and fresh vapors. Try to lead a good life, we never know when we might have to leave here. And be carefull.

disston

Reply to
disston