1994 Caravan fuel pump wiring question

I want to check if the fuel pump in this van is indeed getting power to it..The Haynes manual says to drop the back of the gas tank down and unplug the wiring connector there and test but it seems to me there should be an easier place to reach some portion of these wires without dropping the tank...There is a set of 3 wires that runs along the bottom of the van under the drivers side that disappears up over the top of the gas tank..One is green with a purple stripe..One is blueish/purple and the other is black..They stop at a plastic connector right behind where the drivers seat is (Under the vehicle though) and then continue across and up over the gas tank..Are these the wires for the pump?..I unplugged this connector and read no voltage on any of the 3 prongs inside with the key in the on position

Reply to
Sara Brown

Not going to... It's powered for a few seconds after the key is turned on, then unpowers if the engine isn't running.Hook up a test light and run it out from under the car, then turn the key. I'm showing the green getting 12v from the relay, blue to the guage, and black to ground. Might double check before you power the pump since the guage might use less than 12v.

Reply to
WWS

then unpowers if the engine isn't running.Hook up a test light and run it out from under the car, then turn the key.

I got back to it today and took my brother with me. I attached my volt meter to the two wires (Green positive and black negative) at first there was no reading then when he turned the key to the on position the volt meter would show like 12.35 volts for just a second or so and then it was nothing again...If he tried cranking the engine when I had the meter on it showed a steady voltage then. Would it be safe to say that voltage is indeed going to the fuel pump and it`s probably dead?..I decided not to get one from the junkyard as I found one online for like $70 new..Thanks

Reply to
Sara Brown

Yep, dead pump. You could do the cut and patch repair on it. That is where you cut out a panel over the pump and then R&R the pump. Then you use some replacement steel to make a cover for the hole. I think the 94 has a flat area over the pump that would work. The other option is to drop the tank, that isn't bad if the vehicle isn't a rust bucket. Rust makes things far more interesting....

Reply to
Steve W.

Its a rust bucket..I actually broke both the clips the bolts that hold the gas tank straps on go thru trying to undo them they were so rusty..I went to the junkyard to get new bolts and clips after coming up empty handed at all the local auto parts stores for that size and found a nice 95 Town & Country that was very clean and rust free on the bottom and took the bolts from it to use..Appearently the junkyard no longer punctures the tanks as they received to many complaints from people looking to buy gas tanks...What they do now is just cut the straps..cut all the hoses and wires and then drain the tanks once they are off..What they do then which is nice is that they put the gas tank for the car or van in the trunk, back seat or back area of whatever vehicle it came from..I got to see 4-5 gas tanks removed from Caravans and found that all of them the fuel pump retaining rings were just horribly rusted looking so I decided against messing with any..The Town & Country had a pump that wasn`t overly rusty but unfortunately the gas tank had been crushed right over where the pump was..But at least now I know for sure it`s the fuel pump so I am ordering the one I saw for $70 ..Thanks for all the input :-)

Reply to
Sara Brown