1994 Caravan transmissions interchangeable?

Are the 3-speed and 4-speed transmissions from a 1994 Caravan with the

3.0 engine in any way interchangeable? I ask because the 3-speed in my brothers Caravan is shot and someone offered me a working 4-speed also from 94' Caravan with a 3.0 engine. I was thinking since it is the same van and same engine somehow both transmissions must bolt on the same way. Or is there a lot more involved in this than I am thinking of? Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Sara Brown

Sara, I dont know. I suspect that if the 3 and 4 fit this engine in general, then either would probably bolt up, BUT the PCM might have to be changed as well.

These things are sometimes just not as simple as they once were.

Reply to
hls

Holland Interchange Manual/Books. Some, or most auto recyclers places have those books. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Maybe you can look it up there. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Well, to replace a 3 speed with a 604 ultracrap err ultrdrive is futile. those trannies are only good for 30/40K or so before needing rebuild.

The three speed is a much more dependable trannie. rather than go through all the swap BS, find a used 3 speed and put it in. I have seen tons of that vintage vans in the junk yard. Usually with a bad 604. If you look in the glove box, chances are you will find a rebuild warranty or such. I had a buddy with a 93 that went through 3 rebuilds. You need to use the correct fluid with them also or face sooner rebuilds. Don't let JIffy wackos do it.

bob

Reply to
bob