Overheated, now water in Oil

This engine is in a boat, but is a Chevy 350 block. The raw water pump went out and I drove it maybe 1/2 mile before noticing the temp was maxed out. Checked compression and ran 175 -180 across all 8 cylinders. I pulled the intake manifold hoping to find evidence of it leaking, but could not tell as the gasket tore up as I pulled it off. The intake was still full of water, so the thing wasn't dry (the engine water pump still circulates this water through the engine even if the fresh/cool water has stopped coming in).

When an engine overheats and water gets into the oil, what is the most likely cause and is there a way to test? Since the compression tested OK, I was hoping to find a bad intake gasket, but cannot tell. Does the good compression point more towards a head gasket than a crack in the head (assuming the combustion chamber is the hottest and would be the first to crack). Also, does overheating tend to crack blocks?

Any advice or shared experience appreciated.

You can reply here or at bbusselman at hotmail dot com

Reply to
bobby

|When an engine overheats and water gets into the oil, what is the most likely |cause and is there a way to test?

Look for a crack in the lifter valley, about an inch or so down from the head surface.

Reply to
Rex B

I pulled the heads last night and they are on the way to the shop. I didn't look at them too closely, but did look at the head gasket real hard trying to find where it was leaking. All pistons had equal carbon (expected this as copmression tested good) and after tearing the head gasket up while removing the heads, I could not see anything that looked like it had been leaking. Should I have seen something? Since the block was still full of water, I don't think I got it too hot (didn't fry it or burn any paint off of the heads). The motor didn't die when I throttled back and restarted (turned slowly though and did kickback, probably from preigniting). The temperature gauge only went as high as 210 but the sender is a bit removed from the heads so it was sensing steam temperature. Cannot say how hot the rest of the motor was. Still wondering if there is any other way water could enter the oil as I'm not sure I found a problem yet (unless the shop tells me they found a crack)?

Thanks again to all who responded and will respond.

Bobby

Reply to
bobby

Thanks for the note and yes, I'm sure there was water in it. Can't say I did anything to put it in there (didn't sink it, let it get rained on, wash it or anything like that). Scratching my head as to how else water would get in there.

Reply to
bobby

It sounds likely to me that you got a small leak either through the head gasket or intake gasket.

Have the shop measure the heads to see if they have been surfaced before, if they have, it changes the relationship between the heads and the intake manifold. Thicker gaskets can solve that problem.

Check the flatness of the intake manifold gasket surfaces with a straight edge, look for warpage.

If there are no cracks in the heads or intake manifold, I would glue it back together with confidence. Following the torque sequence on both the heads and the intake manifold will assure the gaskets get properly squished.

97T

Happy Boating

Reply to
97T

I'm an advocate of posting "the rest of the story" as I often read a thread but never know what acutally fixed the problem or what was the final outcome. Anyway, got the heads back today and the shop said they were warped enough to have been a problem. I will repost if this didn't fix the problem, but pretty confident. Won't have gaskets until tomorrow.......

Thanks to those who replied! Bobby

Reply to
bobby

Make sure you straight-edge the intake manifold too. And find out how much they took off the head gasket surface, like I mentioned before, it changes the relationship between the intake manifold and head when you machine the head gasket surface on the head.

97T
Reply to
97T