Panic plus 'Pedal Confusion'

A lot of 'Unintended Acceleration' has been analysed and concluded to be 'Pedal confusion'. Here's how it works. The driver goes into panic mode (for whatever reason) and wants to stop the car. The driver jams down as hard as possible, with all their might, on what they think is the brake pedal. The feedback from their leg, is that it is pushing on an immovable object (just like a full-on push to the brake pedal), except what they are pushing on is the floorboard, and unfortunately the accelerator pedal is between their foot and the floorboard.

Even racing engines have had the shit comprehensively zinged out of them, by the driver in 'panic mode' (usually after they have gone over the 'edge' in some manner, and there's 'no coming back').

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Mistaking "go" for "stop" has been happening since the first cars. Why we're even talking about this well-documented phenomenon is beyond me. My guess is it's because people are stupid. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Ah, but the real question is what percentage of unintended acceleration is pedal confusion and what percentage is hardware or software problems? Seems to be a very hard question to answer, especially if hardware/software problems are transient.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I think the real question is why did Toyota products experience a dramatic increase in unintended acceleration incidents starting in 2004 (concurrent with the shift to electronic trottle control). Every manufacturer has complaints about UA incidents. Starting around 2004, the number of UA complaints involving Toyota vehicles increased dramatically. Something changed. Per their long stading practices Toyota tried to blame thier Customers. This was BS back in 2005 and still is. They changed something that made UA incidents more likely. It is not clear what changed, but the recent attempts by the Toyota excuse machine to convince potential Customers that it is not Toyota's fault is typical Toyota BS. No company tries harder top conceal product defects and/or shift blame than Toyota.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:i2582h$58l$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

A mistake that costs you a life or a car is still a mistake.

BTW there's *always* a "coming back" for race drivers if they do the right thing at the right time. And since they're covering the exact same patch of road over and over again, they learn *what* the limit is far more exactly. Besides, they're *far* better protected in race cars than in any production car.

Reply to
chuckcar

Aside from the fact that this problem is so transient that we might never find the answer to it unless through dumb luck, the question should be, why are we focusing on this small, statistically negligible aspect?

Toyotas and other car makes might be more unsafe than others but it's not because of highly unlikely occurances such as UA. Hundreds of thousands of people are killed yearly in auto accidents. If folks want to maximize their chances for survival in a car crash, they should be paying attention to crash safety ratings and survival ratings for a specific car model and forget the mass hysteria bullshit. The reality is that you should always play by the numbers, not by your feelings or what others believe. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Wrong... ever heard of a 'Black Swan'... ever heard of 'Murphy's Law', etc., etc.?

if they do the

Wrong... ever heard of a 'Rally Car', etc., etc.?

they learn *what* the limit is far more

Have you ever built a 'Roll Cage'?

Hey Chuckwagon... what's the best 'rear toe' to use on a solid axle Mustang, for a fast road course?

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:i281q6$10r$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

Lack of competence is the obvious exception which I refuse to deal with. For obvious reasons. If you foul up, you foul up.

Yes, you mean like they use at Goodwood or The International race of Champions?

First proove *you* have. You're the noob here and your last post shows you don't know what you're talking about. Clearly you have absolutely no conception of weight distribution, oversteer and power oversteer and the correction of the later or you would never have made that post.

And BTW I demand you show proof FIA specification. Put up or shut up.

Can't even snip sigs eh noob?

Exactly *what* is your major malfunction ahole?

Reply to
chuckcar

We only have toes on the front...

Wait a minute...

That *may* have been a trick question...

Reply to
ben91932

Go to the head of the class, if your not already there.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Go to the head of the class benteaches, if your not already there.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

ben91932 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g6g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

Toe-in. And it varies depending on how the driver drives and the stiffness of the suspension along with the actual track. If you're playing with that in a stock mustang, you're wasting your time. Front camber *may* be useful along with adjusting steering lock and front toe-in for stability when cornering, but they're all a matter of having enough or too much steering lock and driving way too hard on a normal road car. In an Alfa or Ferrari, you would, possibly have a reason to adjust it. However you're *not* going to adjust it if you have a car with anything like normal road shock/spring settings. It's a matter of a couple of seconds a lap at best when you're driving at the limit.

*If* you're a driver consistant enough to have laps within .2s of each other.

chuckcar

I think he's pulling your leg - or your toes. The joke is that there's no way to adjust the toe-in on a solid axle car. I know, it's a "lame" joke. Car guys tell the worst jokes.

Reply to
dsi1