What is Correct Pedal Travel for '92 Buick Regal, ABS VI brakes?

I have a '92 buick Regal, 3.1 six with Delco ABS VI brakes. I got the car a year ago. I just noticed the driver's rear does not have any brake pads on it. But the brakes were okay before the brake line to the rear passenger's side rusted through and I had to put in a new one.

During that procedure, I got bad advice and drained the brake master cylinder reservoir to 10% of it's capacity. As a result, I had air in the system. I gravity bled it, which helped some, but when I turned on the car the brake pedal travel was excessive.

I bled each of the brakes with a 5 dollar NAPA kit, the old pump-the- pedal way, and the situation is now as follows:

A) when I touch the pedal when the car is turned off, the brake pedal gets hard about 10% of the way down.

B) When I turn the car on, the brake pedal gets hard about 50% to 60% of the way down.

Is this acceptable?

Reply to
JoeSch

With the engine running and your right foot on the brake pedal like you're making a normal stop, is the brake pedal lower than the gas pedal, even with it or higher?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Sounds about right. The real test is will it make a panic stop effectively at highway speeds. Adjusting the rear brakes might bring the pedal up some more. You also should be aware that if one line burst others may be ready to go soon .

-jim

Reply to
jim

========== ==========

please define....."acceptable".

untill then..... based on experience, No...this is not acceptable as it relates to a properly functioning system on that particuler application.

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his mushroom tea.....grabs his dictionary........ mmmmm.........good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The brake pedal in relation to the accelerator pedal goes like this:

When my foot is off the brake pedal, it is considerably higher than the accelerator level.

When the car is moving and I go to brake, the brakes come on gradually. When my brake pedal is about even with the accelerator pedal heightwise, the brakes are working and in most cases, this is enough to stop the car. I don't do a lot of sudden stops, on principle.

However, as I slow down and my brake pedal is even with the accelerator pedal, there is still an inch or two of travel if I want to come down HARD to a stop. Like I said, for normal stops the brake pedal will not have to go beyond the level of the accelerator pedal.

How does that sound?

Reply to
JoeSch

This board does not have an Edit feature that works once something is posted, so allow me to amend the above message.

As I stated before, to stop the car normally I need only push down the brake pedal to a point that it is slightly ABOVE the level of the accelerator pedal. However, If I am slowing down the car with the brake pedal just above the acelerator pedal, and I stamp down HARD, the brake pedal will go to level just below the accelerator pedal-not two inches, more like half an inch. I wrote two inches because you get so sensitive to the touch that it seems longer than half an inch, but it really isn't.

Reply to
JoeSch

Sounds normal.

If you push hard enough, you can actually bend the points where the master cylinder/brake booster attach.

Being a Delco IV system, I'd be inclined to take the black plastic cover off of the bottom of the ABS module and see if any of the gears from the forcing motors have fallen off.

Reply to
aarcuda69062