Pedal Cluster

Forgive my ignorance but what keeps the clutch from falling backward? I have reinstalled the pedals and the spring helps the brake pedal to return but it seems the clutch pedal could fall backwards. It looks like the pedals are leaning too far back, what am I missing? Be gentle I am a newby with Volkswagens.

Reply to
Paul Nightingale

there should be a tab on the floorboard just between the pedal assy and the front firewall/bulkhead that the bottom end of the pedal catches on, to prevent it from flopping back towards the driver. Both brake and clutch pedal. Some years it was welded on, some years it was bolted on.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

If I recall correctly the bolted ones are adjustable too. Undo bolt, lever tab to where you want pedal and tighten. Bolt hole was elongated.

Reply to
John

Thanks guys, I found the bracket on the old floor pan and the pedals are looking normal now!

Reply to
Paul Nightingale

Here are some good links for newbies:

Tech links:

Speedy Jim=92s Electrical page
Parts links;

Magazine link:

I am not a certified mechanic but, I have kept my bug running for over

16 years.

------------------------------------- > Thanks guys, I found the bracket on the old floor pan and the pedals are

Reply to
Jim Ed

I have a story about my experience with a broken floorpan underneath the brake bracket. Every time you release the brake pedal the tab stop on the bottom of the pedal comes to an abrupt, noisy stop against the adjustable bracket that is bolted to the floorpan; it's metal against metal. The bracket is a simple piece of thick, flat metal that is bent upward on one side. It is the bent side that stops the pedal tab from going past that point after you take your foot off the pedal. On the bottom of the floorpan, directly under the bracket, is a nut welded to the floorpan that the bolt holding down the bracket bolts into.

After about 25 years of driving, on my '63 Type 3 the constant banging of metal against metal took its toll on the floorpan. A crack formed in a semi-circle around the nut causing the plate to no longer lie flat. One time the brake pedal fell backward (toward me), as Paul wondered about. I did a temporary fix by using shims but knew that wouldn't solve the problem.

I phoned around and was directed to a mechanic at a VW dealer who explained how he could make a permanent fix for $75. He fixed it by bolting a 2" by 4" plate to the bottom of the floorpan. In the middle of the plate he welded a nut to align with the hole where the bolt goes through the bracket plate from topside. I think the original nut is still in place, but I'm not sure. In any event, the original nut is quite small. I assume a longer bolt had to be used to reach the new nut. The 2" by 4" plate has a bolt in each of the four corners. Those bolt heads clear any part of the brake pedal and bracket.

I can't believe that I'm the only person who has been on RAMVA who has had this problem. I'm just glad someone knew how to fix it. I think if this problem showed up for the first time now there wouldn't be any mechanics familiar enough with the aircooled VW who could come up with the solution or who would even care to try.

Randall

Paul Night> Thanks guys, I found the bracket on the old floor pan and the pedals are

Reply to
Randall

I always found it a source of joy visiting the father in laws farm where repairs were done by the local mechanic who was happy to fabricate and weld bits on to repair anything from a Ferguson to a Dodge to a Peugeot, from a car to a bush nut dehusker. Always felt blokes like that kept the country going. As opposed to bean counting mealy mouthed paper pushing MBA,s ( Mediocre But Arrogant) . Not that I feel strongly about it. Cheers John

Reply to
John

Tech links:

Speedy Jim?s Electrical page