possibly OT: why carpet in cars?

hey nate, how do you organize the contents of your trunk? do you open the lid to do it or do you go in from behind the seat? or do you pay technicians to take care of this complex task?

this post is ridiculous attention-seeking drivel.

Reply to
jim beam

I suspect it's mostly for sound dampening, and looks. A rubber mat floor shows every ash and crumb, so vacuuming a carpet occasionally will get most of the crap out versus sweeping it every 2 days.

What? Protect the heel of your shoe? Sober up. And my recent GM cars use rubber where your heels go. It's to prevent a threadbare patch of carpet. I still have floor mats in my cars, because they came with the car. Small ones. They don't extend to the rubberized heel area embedded in the carpet. They keep the snow, salt, mud from munging everything up.

Bare rubber floors have no pizazz, color coordination - or sound deadening. You're out of touch. Not that I care too much about car floors, but you do what's necessary to keep them from looking crazy. Unless it's a '64 bug. I put 3" foil-backed home insulation on the entire floor, front and back, under the seats too. Tried to keep my feet only near the pedals, so that was the only part that got compressed. Seemed to keep some of the warmth from the lousy heater in. Just breathing would ice up the windshield, so you had to scrape ice as you drove. Wouldn't have worked if I had a girlfriend or wife then.

Maybe. Got your attention and mine.

Reply to
Vic Smith

and why would you want to do that anywhere, but in the track/race car? my poor ears are sensitive to the noise after a 3-4 year motorcycle stint

Reply to
AD

You'd think so but that's not been my experience. With cloth you can clean up a lot of stains, with leather (except maybe black) a stain is very hard to get out.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I can't think of a worse color but that's just me. Shows every bit of dirt, every stray hair, every crumb from a MickyD bun. My second to last company car had a nice tan cloth interior, always looked nice and it didn't feel like it was closing in around you. My last company car was a very very dark blue and it showed everything plus it made the interior so dark it was like sitting in a pit.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher