Pressure Used to Test Cooling System?

I own a '93 Chevy K1500 pickup with a 5.7L engine. Recently I had the intake manifold gasket replaced to stop an oil leak. 3 or 4 days after the work was done I found there was no coolant in the overflow reservoir but the radiator was still full, I guessed there may have been air trapped in the system. I called the shop and they wanted to do a pressure test to be sure there were no leaks. After the test was done no leaks were found and the mechanic told me that he had pressure tested the cooling system to 18 psi. This is 3 psi. higher than the radiator cap and now, 250 miles later, I can smell antifreeze outside the truck after the engine has warmed up. I can't see a source or hear a leak but from looking underneath the truck I can see a few drops of coolant that have collected at the back end of the block, between it and the torque converter cover. There is no sign of oil in the coolant or vice versa. Is 18 psi too high a pressure to use to test the cooling system and if so, could it have unseated a freeze plug on the back of the engine block? Does it seem more reasonable that the new intake manifold gasket is leaking?

Reply to
gunny

18psi is perfectly reasonable for a pressure test.

However, you COULD have lost a freeze plug or have a cracked hose, even.

If the new gasket was installed properly, it shouldn't be leaking, but you don't know it was installed properly until you find the source of the leak. An ultraviolet light should pinpoint it very quickly. You may need to wash the engine down, then drive it a bit before using the light, especially if there is a lot of old coolant residue from before.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I'm not sure if a 93 has the same coolant setup as my 90 K1500, but there's a hardline that I think goes from the TB to the intake or somewhere (the truck's at home) and on mine it's starting to seep. My

90 Beretta has the same kind of hardlines and after 17 years they're starting to corrode in spots and have had to replace some of them.

I don't think 18psi is excessive, but any time you stress something you run the risk of causing further leaks. It's like probing a rusty exhaust with a screwdriver....

The previous owner of my truck already replaced the rad cap with a 7psi one because it had multiple small coolant leaks....

Ray

Reply to
Ray