windshield wiper "rest" position

I bought a used 2005 Toyota Celica a couple of months ago. The resting position of the rear window wiper is more or less vertical and towards the left side of the window if you are looking at the car from the rear.

This seems strange to me; I think it would look better if it were horizontal (i.e., resting at the bottom of the window). I've taken apart the hardware that holds the wiper mechanism (located on the inside of the rear hatchback) but do not see anything obvious that would let me reverse the motion of the wiper (i.e., to go up and down rather than down and up).

So, I guess my first question is whether the wiper really is supposed to rest vertically. My second question is whether there is something I can do to make it rest horizontally at the bottom of the window and to reverse the motion.

Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Catrambone

_____________________ Just my 2c from a design perspective - is the Celica rear window "raked"(as in: not vertical like an SUV's)? If it is slanted like a conventional sedan's, the rear wiper rests up probably to prevent water and snow from damming up especially while the car is in motion. On the back of an Explorer, where the window is nearly vertical, it doesn't matter all that much if it rest up or down.

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

It is raked/slanted. That's a good point, but the front window is slanted too, so why is that not a problem in the front? I guess the front has a "well" that allows stuff to flow away? I'll have to go outside and check... Meanwhile, is it the case with other cars with slanted rear windows that the wiper resting position is vertical?

Reply to
Richard Catrambone

Toyota's engineers probably thought the rear view was less obstructed by the wiper when it was sitting vertically.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Richard Catrambone wrote in news:BNjHh.9738$Jl.6091 @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Meanwhile, is it the case with other cars with

Mine is.

('91 Integra.)

Reply to
Tegger

The water & snow won't dam up on the windshield because they're being blown away when the car moves. And yes, some other cars with angled rear windows do have wipers that park vertically.

Reply to
Bob M.

Thanks for all the responses. Okay, I'm convinced it is supposed to be vertical.

Reply to
Richard Catrambone