95 Jeep Cheroke Rear Spring Problem

I just noticed that my rear leaf springs on my 95 Jeep are really corroded bad. Some of those retainers that cover the rivets are rotted off. I have never had springs replaced before. Is this an expensive job? Also noticed the housing on the rear hocks are rotten. This jeep belonged to my father and he didn't drive it much. It has

60k miles on it but the body has alot of rust because my father lived near the ocean. M

If you mean the packing straps that held the leaves together during assemble, no worries, they aren't structural.

I don't know what a 'hock' is though, but if is the frame mount, it needs attention, if they are the shackles, they aren't too hard to change out.

Check the driver's side floor too, it is a bad spot for rust.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > I just noticed that my rear leaf springs on my 95 Jeep are really
Reply to
Mike Romain

I guess you mean 'rear shocks'. That can be a serious problem.

Usually,these can be replaced or repaired by welding in new metal, unless this is really a rustbucket.

Reply to
HLS

hock == shock. Sorry, this HP Pavillion Laptop has a crappy keyboard.

The rear shocks are pretty much shot. I never saw a shock absorber that rusted out. This Jeep resided near the Atlantic Ocean, it was my father's Jeep. He passed away a m>If you mean the packing straps that held the leaves together during

No, the shock itself is rotted, not the mounting interface. Yes, it is a rust bucket but I like it.

I would recommend a few days of regular soakings in a good penetrating oil on the shock mount nuts before attempting to remove them. Torch heat may even be needed. There are a few writeups around about replacing the mounts if you do snap one.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > hock == shock. Sorry, this HP Pavillion Laptop has a crappy keyboard. >
Reply to
Mike Romain