Propane torch after "liquid wrench"

Trying to get the 2 part caliper off my 95 Grand Marquie. I tried liquid wrench on these 3/4" bolts, and am about to use a torch. My question is: since "liquid wrench" is flammable as hell, how long should I wait before taking a torch to those bolts? Its been awhile since i've used one and I dont want to set things on fire without knowing any precautions.

Thanks

Reply to
jim

It's a good question, but you're worried overmuch. Liquid Wrench is flammable, but it's not gasoline, nor anything close to it. Generally a film of it on metal parts will not support combustion -- you might get a brief dark-blue flame surrounding the oiled part, for less than a second, but nothing worth worrying about. Make sure there's good ventillation, because you will probably get some smoke and/or "hot Liquid Wrench" fumes.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I've had a lot more luck with PB blaster, especially in combination with heat.

It is not that flammable. I wouldn't worry about it. I've started small fires with it but it won't explode or anything and you can blow out the flames easily. Of course, you can avoid starting these fires by spraying the bolt AFTER torching it instead of immediately before...

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

Kroil. Anything else is greasy kidstuff.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Its not like its Starting Fluid or anything...sheeesh. Wash it off with Brake Parts Cleaner and let it dry if it bugs you.

For the record...I'm a fan of PB and Kroil! :)

Reply to
ed

I have found that using heat first, then a penatrant, made more sense.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart