Torque wrench usage ?

I have just got myself a torque wrench and not instrcutions were provided and just wondered how to use it. I have set the value to 30 which my car manual says for caliper bolts ... do I screw to bolt on then just use the torque wrench till it clicks and releases pressure or do I tighten the bolt up by hand then use the wrench ?

Also while I'm asking I guess a stupid question my wheels need to be done up at 120 but my wrench only goes up to 80 can I do it up to 80 then set it for

40 after the 80 is done or does it not qork like that ?

Thanks

Reply to
BigToe

Splutter!!!!!!!! That's a cracker. Best one I've heard on here for ages!! ROTFPML!

Reply to
Cynic

No, split it evenly, do it at 60 twice.

On the off chance you were serious, no it won't work like that. The torque setting is roughly the amount or torque that the wrench will exert before clicking, that's not to say you can't keep tightening the bolt well beyond that point but you may as well use a tommy bar.

Reply to
Depresion

Screw them finger tight then use the torque wrench. Otherwise you may find you're overtightening them before you use the wrench.

Don't be a slave to your new toy either - most bolts are not that critical, the torque setting is a good guide to how tight though.

I'll be more constructive than the other poster. No, it doesn't work like that. Your wrench goes up to 80. Anything beyond that requires a different wrench with a different range.

As you're now learning, torque wrenches can be an expensive business!

Reply to
asahartz

I'm about to have a go at my rear brakes, and read a guide stating tools required to do up the caliper bolt to 30 so thats my main reason for it.

Ahhhh.

Thanks for the informative response. It might've sounded like a daft question but having never used a torque wrench before I rather look daft asking such a question then mucking up. You don't ask you don't get. Looks like I may need to invest in a higher rted torque wrench to cover everything I may come across.

Reply to
BigToe

Doesn't work like that. 80 is tighter than 40 so setting it to 40 will achieve nothing.

Reply to
Conor

If it's just for the wheelnuts, it's really not that critical, buy a really cheap one from Lidl ot ebay.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you want to cover *everything* you're likely to come across (lets be sporting and limit it to fairly common cars) you'd need one that gowes up to what, 250 lb.ft for some foreign muck hub nuts?

Any advance on 250lb.ft? (ISTR that's about it - might have been 235...)

Reply to
PC Paul

Err that'd be foreign muck like a Sierra?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Is America not foreign any more then?

Reply to
PC Paul

"BigToe" wrote in news:f6qogh$k41$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Sounds quite high for for wheelnuts. If you need more than 80 torques you do need a torque wrench that will go up to whatever you need. Think of it like effort needed to tighten something. It won't tighten any more if you exert the same force twice, or even 18 gazillion times. You need to exert more force, hence you need a bigger torque wrench with bigger numbers.

Reply to
Stuart G Gray

Given there will be more than one bolt, tighten them both gradually, ie finger tight then a moderate pull on a spanner before going up to the final figure. You can use the TW for this purpose, ie as an ordinary ratchet. Hold it close to the bolt end to avoid using too much pressure if you've not got a 'feel' for such things.

You buy a torque wrench(s) which covers the range on your car. This may well mean two. If yours tops out at 80 it's unlikely to be long enough to achieve 120 anyway.

BTW, did you do any physics at school? Leverage (which is what torque is basically) was covered pretty early on at my school.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)