Q: Automotive security

Is there a security system that will stump the professionals? Short of having the car towed, how can I "guarantee" the car will never be stolen?

Reply to
Phil Breau

And so it panned out that the following script was sculpted by none other than Phil Breau:

The short answer: you can't. But there are precautions that you can take to minimize the risk:

- First off, make sure you're in$ured against third party theft, because there is no way to guarantee immunity of your vehicle therefrom.

- Fit and use an electronic immobilizer, preferably of the multi-circuit self arming variety. (That reminds me, I need to get mine fixed, godarnit!)

- Fit a mechanical steering lock, preferably self locking. The ubiquitous "Club" is better than nothing, though the British made (?) "DiscLok" is of vastly superior quality, albeit at a price, and can foil even the most seasoned professionals for at least five and a half MINUTES. It owes its relative effectiveness to its ability to cover the entire steering column, so there's no way for a would-be thief to saw through the wheel.

- Lock your doors, even if you're only leaving the car unattended for a few minutes!

- If your car is particularly expensive and desirable, consider fitting a tracking device of some kind or other. These automatically inform the fuzz if your car is lifted and track your car's whereabouts so that Society's Finest (cough) can easily track down the perpetrator.

Just a few obvious suggestions from the resident r.a.d NON-expert. Use all advice at own risk, it goes without saying.

Reply to
E.R.

Approximately 11/12/03 16:27, Phil Breau uttered for posterity:

Not a real professional, no. There are pager style systems that can disable the gas and/or ignition but they won't stop a tow. There are locator style systems that can find the car up until it has been chopped to pieces.

Well, even keeping a coupla big mean pit bulls inside won't help against a determined professional, but few carry ether, etc. to stun the dogs. Another thought is to hire a couple local gangsters to deal with would be thieves...

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Put it in the garage with your Doberman Pinscer.

Reply to
swatcop

Leave it parked in fort knox. :) If a pro wants your car, he will probably get it.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Yes you can, short of being towed. Put in some phony dead fuses. E.g., get rid of some fuses and wire the distributor coil under the seat. (Unethical??)

A professional could built a simple ECM compatible to car in question only to raise hood and plug it in. I have done so but morally, I don't steal.

Saw a guy took off the whole colunm, fitted his own.

I admit, all ideas work great for non-professionals. But a co-worker vintage mustang was stolen (probably by pros) in daylight working areas a few yards away complete with alarm sirens and thought to be theft-proof. Even with your idea of tracking devices, I would prevent a starting or shifting gears since crooks learn to drive under ground, outer city limits or hit a tree. Rick

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

Drive a practical looking, unsexy box, that no one wants to steal. If you happen to live in a municipality that requires beat up taxis to be retired at an unreasonable age (Some places require that cabs be less than seven years old), you may be able to find a sizable market of such vehicles.

If you need something sporty, you are kind of limited to clapped out police interceptors, but they seem to last, are performance sedans, and do not draw too much attention.

Reply to
Richard Bell

This would probably work even better, unless that crazy Australian guy was stealing your car:

Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Remove the wheels, and store them in a secure remote location (IE, not in the car). It won't stump a pro, but it should slow them (and you) up considerably. :) Even with a flatbed, they probably wouldn't think it's worth the hassle.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

And so it panned out that the following script was sculpted by none other than Ricky Spartacus:

Well precisely, ergo you can't.

And this kinda stuff accounts for what portion of total auto thefts? :} (And replacing the whole column has GOTTA take more than five or six minutes?)

Yep - like you said, the REAL pros will likely just tow your pride'n'joy away anyway.

Reply to
E.R.

Drive a Yugo.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

The simplest (from a pro car thief) is a simple hidden toggle switch that disables the fuel pump circuit.

It has worked for me (three attempts so far and I still have my truck).

Reply to
Hank

Try towing a locked transmission, rear brakes. Thus, you can.

0 percent.

Yep. Car was in storage. 30 min. The perpetrator is currently locked up. I'm 60 miles away from the top two city in the nation for auto thefts in 2002. My Honda broken into, ignition busted, damaging $400 total. I soon quickly added a blinking LED and a fake club, most coinciding with your first suggestions. It's no good just disabling the electronics.

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

Approximately 11/14/03 00:00, Hank uttered for posterity:

That must have been some pro. The real pros just use tow trucks that really don't care whether your car can run or not, or even has a police lockup boot on it at the time.

And if the theft is for a specific model order, about all you can do is get them to try another identical car a bit less protected.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Read.

He said 'Short of having a car towed.......'

Read.

Reply to
Hank

"Phil Breau" sez:

I know of motorcycle security systems with rather sensitive motion detectors that trip a remote alarm in the house resulting in the irate owner quickly coming out to investigate with pump shotgun in hand.

While not a guarantee, he still has the bike and several unknowns no longer have back windows along with some souvenir reminders of the evening in their car's rear bodywork.

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

And so it panned out that the following script was sculpted by none other than Ricky Spartacus:

All right then cleverclogs, how's about hoisting the vehicle up onto a truck? It *is* impossible to render one's car *completely* theftproof; if the crook really really really wants it that badly, he's gonna get it one way or another.

Reply to
E.R.

You can tow such a car. It's rather noticable though, except in certain neighborhoods. Or you can winch it up on a flatbed. Or you can cut the e-brake cable; the transmission lock is not all that strong.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Chained to a pole or concrete with hardened steel. Try this.

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus